Chapter 10

--- Riddler’s POV---

“What happened to me that night.” she hissed at me. “The night you ‘rescued’ me. The night Zsasz carved this thing into my back.” She said motioning to whatever it was on her back. “The night Joker’s men found me.” Her voice cracked and she was starting to get those watery eyes. She was now a foot away from me and was staring straight into my eyes. I knew she would see everything in them; a trait she picked up from Crane no doubt. How could I not have followed her once I realized I fought with Clayface and not with her? “I escaped because two friends found me and beat the crap out of them. Because they cared enough to make sure that I would end up surviving from it. They constantly show their support and the fact that they care.” She yelled, tears streaming down her beautiful face. I wanted to just reach out and wipe them away, to wipe away all of her fears. I could see her start to lean on her cane a little more heavily and I started to get worried. “Jonathan, Selina, Ivy… they all cared enough to look out for me when I’d go out at night. Hell, they were there during the day too.” She said glancing at Jonathan. She honestly thought that I wasn’t sitting in my office, watching her move around the city? “You didn’t even know where I was.” She whispered and I could do nothing but take in a deep breath. “How dare you come here, acting like everything’s perfectly fine when you didn’t care enough to make sure that I was even alive that night.” She barley got out before lowering her gun.

“Kitten, please come home with us.” She whispered stepping forward. Katrina just backed away and turned her back to us. My eyes widened at the sight. From shoulder to shoulder, there was a bat-shaped question mark scar. That was what Zsasz had left her with.

“No, because I wouldn’t want to burden anyone.” She hissed and walked out of he doors. I felt my head start to pound while contemplating the different options I had for getting her back in here.

“You better be proud, now you know.” Selina hissed stepping in front of me, glaring daggers at me.

“Proud?” I growled.

“Yes, proud!” she twitched her whip. “You’re the reason she won’t come back!” she screeched as Ivy came to hold her back.

“Me?” I raised an eyebrow at her.

“Yes.” Crane hissed this time. I turned around and saw his face contorted in anger and pain. “You’re the reason she doesn’t sleep at night.” He whispered.

“How do you know when she does and doesn’t sleep?” I glared walking closer.

“He’s Santa Clause!” Joker yelled laughing.

“Come on Ed, did you seriously expect me to just ignore her screams in the middle of the night?” he asked seriously, raising an eyebrow at me.

“And how do you know she’s screaming from that place you live in?” he narrowed my eyes even more.

“It’s called listening devices.” He snapped. “I’m not leaving her unwatched. Look at what would have happened if I did.”

“Are you talking about Arkham?” I growled.

“No! I’m talking about Uncle Joe’s Red Neck Plaza!” he yelled at me. “Of course I’m talking about Arkham!”

“How exactly did you even know she was there and that was going to happen?” I took a step forward raising my cane.

“We totally planned it all out.” Ivy sneered. “No, John called Katrina and she broke down on the phone. He cared enough to drag us out of the job we were doing and rescue her. Not to try to prove some point to anyone else, to show her that he cared.”