Chapter 17

---Riddler’s POV the day John visited Kat---

I sighed and put my head on my desk. I had been up for hours planning how to ruin the Batman’s life forever. His secret was no longer safe, I knew who he really was. I picked up my head and looked around my office for the coffee that had to be cold by now. My desk was covered in nothing but riddles, monitors, and my keyboard. The coffee was nowhere to be found so I simply leaned back in my chair. My entire office was covered in riddles; I could barely see my cane leaning against the door. There was so much to be done! So many things that had to be set into motion at just the right time; otherwise everything would crumble. While shuffling around some papers, I happened to glance at the date. It was currently October 28. An involuntary smile crept onto my face. Only three more days till I could go and see Katrina. I don’t know why I wanted to go and see her so badly, but I did. I was about to start working again when someone knocked on my door.

“Edward? Are you okay? You’ve been in there for three days.” I could hear Luna say a little concerned.

“Luna,” I sighed. “Don’t you have something to do?”

“No,” she paused. “I finished putting the riddles everywhere. What else is there to do?”

“There are always other challenge rooms.” I smirked.

"I think not."

“Was worth a try,” I sighed. “Go watch TV or something. And remember, you need a costume.” I called as I heard her walk away.

“What do you suggest? I obviously can’t go as you or wear anything I own.”

“I don’t know and I don’t care.” I sighed a little aggravated. Did she constantly have to rely on me for everything?

“Gee, I can see you’re not in a happy mood. I’ll just leave you to what ever it is you’re doing that’s so important.” She said and disappeared a few feet away. I heard the TV turn on and I sighed. Luna was a smart girl, but still too scared and shy about everything. I shook my head and tried to get back to work. While grabbing some papers my hand hit a button on my keyboard, turning on one of my screens. I was looking at someone’s back. I turned up the volume and tried to figure out what it was I was seeing.

“So… everyone wants to keep me?” I heard Katrina ask. What was she talking about?

“Basically. It’s become, ‘who can get her first?’” I heard Jonathan say. He came into view and when he saw me he glared.

“I’m no prize to be won and no pet to be owned.” Kat spat. John looked back at Katrina and smiled. I did have to agree with her; she was not to be owned.

“I know.” He said stroking her face. I couldn’t control my clenched jaw or the absolute hate I had towards him right now. What was wrong with me? He kept glancing behind her and when she tried to turn around he held onto her face and moved closer.

“John.” she said cautiously leaning towards me.

“What?” he smirked. “Don’t want to kiss me?” She better not. What am I saying?

“Of course, because that’s what I dream of.” She laughed, every word dripping with sarcasm. I let out a sigh of relief and sat back in my chair. “You know me better than that Johnny Boy.”

I turned off the monitor. Why was it that I got so upset when she was with John? Why did I even care when I had much more important things to worry about? I sat closer to my desk and started to busy myself with riddles.

--- back to present day. Kat’s POV---

I arrived at school after taking the bus and ignoring all the immature comments.