Chapter 19

I got home and found Alfred running a vacuum in the living room.

“School let out early?”

“No sir.” I sighed. “I have to sleep. I feel really weird.” I said truthfully. My head was pounding and I just needed to shut my eyes for a while.

“You’re welcome to some Advil if you need it. It’s upstairs in your bathroom I believe.” He nodded to my door.

“Thanks Alf.” I smiled and ran up the stairs. I dropped my book bag in my doorway and went to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and frowned. I looked like crap. Barely an hour ago I was perfectly fine and happy, so why did I feel absolutely horrible? Maybe it had to do with Josh. I shook my head to clear the thought, but it still lingered. I grabbed the Advil bottle and managed to swallow two pills without water. I turned out the light as I left the room and walked over to my bed. Alfred had probably just finished making it; the sheets were still warm from the drier. I kicked off my shoes and quickly climbed in. Smiling, I drifted once more into a dreamless sleep.

--- Riddler’s POV---

I practically skipped into my little kitchen. It was Halloween, guess what that meant! Yes, I got to go and see Kat tonight. So many thoughts were floating around in my head as I reached in the fridge and pulled out the carton of orange juice. How should I make my entrance tonight? Should I sneak in or make a big debut? I was smiling to myself when Luna walked in from her room, still rubbing sleep from her eye.

“What are you so cheery about?” she yawned and stretched. She was wearing a green shirt and a pair of longer black shorts.

“Oh, nothing much.” I practically sang. Okay, I understood that I was happy, just not that happy.

“It’s obviously something.” She rolled her eyes, fully awake now.

“Not necessarily.” I shrugged.

“So, you’re happy for no rational reason?” she poked, raising an eyebrow.

“I always have a rational reason!” I said.

“Then enlighten me.” She sat down on the couch eyeing me. “What is this rational reason?”

“Something I don’t expect you to understand.” I snapped. Maybe it was because I myself didn’t understand it… not like I’d tell her that.

“Excuse me?” she asked in disbelief.

“I said; I don’t expect you to be able to comprehend it.” I shrugged. She glared at me and I could see her clench her fists.

“And what is it that’s so complicated?” she hissed at me.

“Really Luna,” I sighed. “Think about it. What is today? What have I been planning for? What could possibly be so important to me- us.” I corrected myself. “What has everyone on edge?”

“It couldn’t possibly be the ball?” she smirked, actually using sarcasm. I frowned.

“If you’re becoming more comfortable with sarcasm, I’m afraid you’ve been around the doctor a little too often.”

“Jealous Mr. Nigma?” she asked.

“Of course not.” I frowned and headed back to my office. Why would I be jealous of someone who was basically stealing away my help? “Why don’t you go find something to do till tonight? I mustn’t be bothered with your trivial questions.” I said before shutting the door to my office.

“I could always go find Crane.” I heard her mutter through the door. I didn’t even bother answering; it would only encourage her. After a while I heard a door open and close and didn’t think too much of it. If worst came to worst I could always check the street cameras for her. Luna was okay by herself.