chapter 16

“Katrina?” I could hear John asking me.

“Dude, what happened?” I slurred and tried to sit up before my world started to spin again.

“Extra strength toxin.” He sighed.

“Do you not check to make sure they’re Katrina friendly?” I muttered as I closed my eyes. He just laughed and I could feel my bed shake. “Since when did I get on my bed? Wait, how come Bruce hasn’t heard any of this?”

“TV is a wonderful thing dear.” He laughed and I opened my eyes enough to see him point to an action movie that was on.

“Smart.” I smiled.

“Worthy of Mr. Nigma?” he said with false hope.

“Not even close.”

“Aw, was hoping. Shucks.” He smirked at me. That’s when our attention was pulled to the TV. The action movie had been interrupted and I could see the blonde reporter on the screen. Her blue eyes roamed the room around her nervously.

“We… uh. We interrupt your current show to bring you this emergency announcement.” John and I looked at each other and made our way across my messy room to get closer to the screen. “Gotham City is on lock down and a mandatory curfew has been put in place for ten o’clock at night. Jerivs Tetch escaped Arkham earlier today and has already been seen in the streets around Gotham. The police are advising all women and young girls to stay indoors and not leave. He mainly seems to attack those with blonde hair and blue eyes.” We could see her twitch as a door opened. “If anyone has any information that would be helpful to the police or Batman, please call the GCPD.” The screen cut off and I looked at a completely calm Crane.

“Don’t worry Kat.” He smiled down at me. “He likes his Alice’s and you are no Alice.” He ran a hand through my straight black hair, holding my white highlights and bangs. “You’re much more deadly.”

“Why thank you.” I smiled at him.

“Besides, Tetch knows Ed and I would beat him senseless.” He shrugged.

“He’s already senseless.” I smiled.

“True.” He nodded his head and walked to my window. “I’m done testing my toxin for the day. I’ll see you in four days.”

And just like that my room and house were quiet again, with the TV in the background.

“Katrina.” I could hear someone whisper. I opened my eyes and saw Richard standing over me. “It’s time for school Kat. You’ve already missed the first three classes.” He chuckled.

“Let me just sleep the day away.” I muttered turning over.

“No can do princess.” He laughed at me.

“I’m not a princess” I growled as he picked me up. I kept my eyes shut and just curled up against him. “You’re warm.”

“Good.” He teased. I could feel him walking downstairs and through a couple doors.

“Where are we going?” I frowned still keeping my eyes shut. I could feel a cool wind sweep at my feet.

“Are you sure you want to sleep?” he asked me with mischief hidden in his voice.

“Yes.” I said sternly and that’s when I started to fall. I couldn’t open my eyes fast enough but could still feel the icy cold water surround me. When my eyes did open I could see sunlight and swam toward it. Richard was on the ground laughing.

“What… the… hell?” I yelled and shivered. Richard threw me into the OUTSIDE pool. “It’s the middle of October!” I shouted as I tried to get out of the water.