Chapter 36

After kneeling there for what felt like hours, I stood up and called Edward.

“You okay?” Was the first thing out of his mouth, causing me to smile.

“I’m fine. I haven’t felt this good in ages.” I smiled. “What’s the news with Luna and Johnny Boy?”

“I don’t quite know… I’m about to go over and find out.” He sighed frustrated.

“You don’t know?” I smirked to myself.

“Fine if you don’t want to come then there are always the challenge rooms here.” He answered tersely.

“I’m coming. I’ll meet you there.” I hung up, running to my bike in the back. Looking around I couldn’t see any police or S.W.A.T. cars so I figured I was okay. It was getting dark; go figure. I rode through the streets and was nervous about what Ed and I would find out. I don’t know much about Ra’s, but I hope Luna’s okay. I rounded another corner and was finally on the dark road that would lead me to the edge of the city. After another five minutes of riding I finally reached the front door of the warehouse. I saw Ed’s car and so I walked in quietly to hear John reciting Poe.

“The Angels, not half as happy in Heaven, went envying her and me.” I could hear his voice become louder as he continued. “Yes, that was the reason-as all men know, In this kingdom by the sea-That the wind came out of the cloud by night, chilling and killing my Luna.”

“Luna.” Ed’s voice cracked and I nearly fell over. Luna was… gone? I looked up at Ed to see he was utterly confused as what to do and I could feel my eyes start to water. She couldn’t be gone, she just couldn’t. I stood up and walked over to the closed lab door.

“John?” I called a little nervously. He was silent for a while and I just sighed.

“Yes?” he finally answered; but barely.

“Are you…” I was thinking of the nicest way to ask this. “Stable?” was all I could come up with. I heard him laugh and it worried me slightly.

“Stable? That depends… if you mean mentally, I’ve never been stable to begin with.” He sounded… amused? I honestly couldn’t help but smile though; he wasn’t complete doom and gloom.

“Johnny, you know what I mean.” I smiled and knocked on the door. “Let me in? Or come out?”

“I can hear you just fine where you are. There’s no need to get any closer.” He retorted, annoyance clearly in his voice.

“John, you need to eat.” I stated matter of fatly, crossing my arms. I could see Edward stiffen slightly beside me.

“Eating takes away from distrac-work.” I heard him catch himself and frowned. “It takes away from work.”

“Work? Work for HIM?” I struggled not to break down the door and beat some sense into him. Edward quickly grabbed me and kept me in place.

“He’s already taken something away from me… the next thing is probably my life.” I winced at his words and somewhat understood. “Besides, I don’t mind working. It’s not like I have any, as he put it, distractions.” I glared at the door and was about to start yelling at him to stop wallowing and such but Ed covered my mouth. I eventually bit my tongue though and backed off.

“John, locking yourself in a room and wallowing in self pity won’t solve anything.” I answered angrily, wiping a tear out of my eye. Ra’s killed her, and he’s threatening John too? I looked back to see a completely confused Edward Nigma and I shook my head. “I’ll be at home later.” I muttered before walking out the door and down the stairs. I ran to my bike and sped all the way into town. I didn’t pay attention to the red lights or stop signs; I barely noticed the police following me to the church. I parked in the back and ran inside to find everything dark, save two spotlights on the crucifix and the red candle that indicated the body in the tabernacle. I made my way down the long aisle and felt my cheeks become soaked. I barely made it half way when I fell to the ground. Why’d he take her? Why’d he take her from Johnny? Why?