Chapter 16: Insanity

You gasped loudly as you sat up on the couch,catching your breath and looking around for any sights of the intruder of the night before.Strange enough ,this time you didn't have any nightmares ,instead you had a long peaceful sleep till now....it was as if something woke you up, as if someone had just grabbed you by your shoulders and shaken you countless times.
And here you were,sweating and panting heavily as you brought your hands up to your throat checking if the person of before had done any harm to you while you looked down to your body.Nope, you weren't bleeding nor you were bruised.

What the hell?Did that stranger just casually broke into the apartment and knock you out?

"Wait.I remember they covered my mouth with something... Maybe they decided to break all my teeth?" you thought as you grabbed your phone and used it as a mirror to check whether your teeth were still in the right place and sighed of relief when you saw so.
You yawned and looked on the ground as something had caught your eye
"What in the world is this?.." You said as you picked up a napkin and flinched when you smelled a pungent stink coming from it.
"Oh god that's chloroform!So that's what they used to make me unconscious" you mentally slapped yourself as you threw it away and bit your tongue "that was so obvious,how else was I put to sleep " you thought as you stood up on your legs and checked the door.
"What?" You asked in disbelief  "they didn't pick the lock and it was still perfectly shut like yesterday?" you looked carefully and inched back  "But how? Maybe they broke in by a window..? " you immediately dashed off to the kitchen and back in the living room trying to get the slightest clue that someone was there and you didn't just fantasize what happened.
You checked everywhere thousands of times, you even scanned every inch of the glass of the window looking for any fingertips that the intruder left but nothing was found.
You plopped yourself on the couch and arched an eyebrow in confusion.This was one hell of a riddle, like how do you get into a house and leave no proof that you were actually there?You checked your phone and froze as you read what time it was.

"7 a.m." you said out loud as you were now cold sweating.
Why wasn't Michael awake?He would be the first one to wake up and literally push you off the couch in order to make you get ready to school,and he would be up by 6.Why was he late today?
You looked at the mirror in the living room and held in your breath as you slowly shifted your eyes to Michael's room.You realized what happened.
The reason why you didn't find any clue that someone broke in was because no one did.They were already inside the house.
You started to shake violently as you were now breathing unsteadily while slowly walking to your friend's room ,helping yourself by resting a hand on the wall preventing you from falling down.
Jeff was here.He is the one who knocked you out.

Why was here.

What did he do.

"M-michael?" you asked softly as you scrunched up your nose when you were standing in front of his door.
What was that smell?You could have sworn you already smelled something like that before.
It reminded you of...of...

The dead girl in your closet.That's what it smelled like

No.It couldn't be him.Michael couldn't be dead.

Right?

You needed to know.You had no idea what could happen to you,how you would change if Michael was really dead.
You shut your eyes in anticipation as you quickly opened the door making a squeaking noise.
It took you at least five minutes to gather enough bravery and strenght to open your eyes and embrace the truth...
Michael was laying there, tucked in his blankets without making any noise...maybe he wasn't dead?Maybe he just didn't hear me before?