Chapter Three

Walking outside with only a pair of somewhat small swim trunks feels amazing in this summer heat. Without a calendar to reference, it is impossible to know what month it is, but summer feels like it has come out of nowhere. One week it was still pouring down rain and cool outside, and the next it is bright sunshine and warm breezes.

I'm not complaining, though.

It feels great to be outside again, especially since I was starting to feel claustrophobic from being stuck indoors. The warmth of the sun helps to wash away some of the stress that has been building up in my body. My muscles actually start to relax for once. With every step I take, the tension in my body melts away.

With only a towel in one hand and a water bottle in my other, I walk over to the creek that runs on the property. I know Taylor likes to go there when he is feeling overwhelmed, so I decided that it would be a good spot to spend my day.

Away from all of my pack mates.

Especially Taylor and Jesse. Taylor, the over caring person that he is, has been hovering over me for the last week, ever since I told him about my pregnancy. It is as if he fears that I am just going to break any minute, and he is determined to try and catch all of me once I fall apart.

Now Jesse, he is just making me more frustrated with every passing day. He is becoming even more squeamish, his eyes widening slightly as if in fear when I try to get close enough to talk to him. Whether he is afraid of me or something else, I have no idea.

Shaking my head, I try to clear those thoughts away. Today is one of the nicest days we have had so far this year, and I am determined to enjoy it.

It takes me about ten minutes to make it to the stream and looking around, I can definitely see why Taylor likes to visit this spot in particular. Everything about it is relaxing, from the slow trickling of the water over the rocks to the way the birds are chirping in the trees.

There is even one of those wooden reclining chairs, worn cushions that look like they may have been dark red in their prime but are now a muted pink. Tate must have brought it out here after finding his boyfriend laying on the ground for the third time, seeing as he is always worrying about Taylor and his well being. Thank god for that or else I would have had to lay on the pebbled ground.

Not wasting another minute, I make my way over to the chair, wiping off the few leaves and twigs that had fallen onto it before laying my towel over the back.

The bubbling water of the creek is calling my name. I set my water bottle down next to my kicked off shoes before making my way down to the water.

The first touch of the water against my toes causes a shiver to run through my body. It isn't too cold at all, but it definitely contrasts with the warmth of the mid-afternoon sun.

Slowly, I wade into the water, stopping to adjust to the cool temperature once the water reaches my waist. Goosebumps spread across my skin, and I decide to get the rest of this over with. Taking a deep breath, I duck under the water, staying there for a few seconds before letting myself slowly float back to the surface.

The sun heats my skin as I float on my back in the water, my eyes closed to the world around me. Birds chirp in the trees, and the wind rustles the new leaves.

It is comforting to be surrounded by the sounds of nature, and I don't have to worry about some infected stumbling upon me while I am relaxing.

A fluttering in my stomach causes a smile to spread across my face. With one hand, I rub along my barely there bump, while using the other to keep me afloat.

This has been happening every once in a while for the past few days. The first time it happened, I thought something was wrong and almost had a meltdown while trying to find Taylor. He had looked at me worriedly at first, but once I told him what was going on, he just chuckled. It took him a couple minutes to calm down and actually tell me what was happening.