Chapter Eighteen

The sound of ringing causes my head to snap up. Even though we have been anticipating the humans coming, hearing the warning of their approach still makes my heart start pounding. Erik and Ethan are beside me, all of us on patrol for the last few hours.

"Get in position, I'll get Dad," Erik says, running a hand through his brother's hair before running off in the opposite direction.

"Come on," I say, pulling Ethan away from where he is watching his brother leave. His worry is clear as day on his face, and it takes him a few seconds to actually start moving. Even though he has been having trouble with Liam and his brother, there is no doubt in my mind that he loves them.

Ethan finally nods his head, allowing me to pull him into a run. Together, we run over towards the front of the gate, where all of our supplies are hiding. We have a whole plan for this attack, and hopefully most of it will be successful. Because if it is not, we run the chance of the humans actually breaking through our fences and making it all the way to the pack house.

No fucking way am I letting these assholes anywhere near my mate or children.

It takes us less than a minute to reach our destination, where Avery, Nik, and Alexis are already standing. My sister throws me a machete along with some daggers while everyone else gets their own weapons.

"How far away are they?" I ask, strapping everything into place.

Alexis shakes her head, coming over to stand next to me. "Not that far. They are about to reach the first trap, so we only have a little over a minute to get into position."

"Alright," I say, looking up when I hear footsteps approaching. It's Alpha Seren followed closely by Andrea, Tate, and Erik.

"Everyone knows their places and their jobs. Don't stray off of your task or we run the risk of getting everyone killed," Alpha Seren says, grabbing his own weapons. "Let's move."

Nobody wastes any more time hanging around, running into our designated spots. I am the second line of defense, meaning I am the first one the intruders encounter after they get through the trap we set up.

Ethan and Alexis follow close behind me. We are the best fighters in the group, so it is our job to take out as many of these fuckers as we can before they run into the next trap. My sister splits away first, easily climbing her designated tree and moving completely out of sight. Ethan and I move a few yards further, climbing our own trees once we reach them.

I am just settling into place when I hear the first growls. Peeking through the leaves, I see that there are eight total werewolves, along with about thirty humans. Quickly counting, I see that twelve of them are injured from the last trap we set up, four of the werewolves limping and eight of the humans looking like they are struggling already.

Patiently, I wait for the humans to move into the correct position. I don't have to wait long before they get right where I want them. The light I had been expecting as a signal from Alexis and Ethan flashes across my eyes, and I flash my own in response. Carefully, I grab the rope, counting to ten in my head before pulling it as hard as I can.

Just as I had been anticipating, the humans start to scream as infected spill out of the two nets we had trapped them in. Reaching into my pocket, I pull out the infected blood that Alpha Seren had given to me days ago. This is exactly why I am wearing long sleeves and gloves, making it possible for me to spread the blood across me without it touching my skin.

It is going to act as my disguise from the infected since they can't stand the smell of their own blood. With everything in place, I drop down from the tree, falling behind a group of the humans. They are so distracted by the starving infect coming towards them that they don't even notice us as we sneak behind them. We each take out our intended goal of four people, leaving the werewolves alive. They are too distracted by the infected anyways to try and attack us.