Chapter 1

This place, it was all too familiar. I didn't like it. My throat started to swell up rapidly. I've never been this nervous in all my life. It was time. Time for two peoples lives to be ruined.

I was wearing black- black leather leggings, a black tank top, a black cardigan, black high heeled ankle boots, black eyes, black lips. As a remembrance of everyone who has sacrificed their life's for the entertainment of the Capitol. Scum.

"Good Evening citizens of district 12" I spoke aloud

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the beginning of the 75th annual hunger games. Before we start the reaping, here is a video all the way from the Capitol" I faked my excitement, "you are all just so lucky to be seeing this. It's not as if it's ever been shown before or anything like that" I scoffed, "whatever. Play the video"

War, terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land.

Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won.

A people rose up from the ashes and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. When the traitors were defeated, we swore as a nation we would never know this treason again.

And so it was decreed, that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up in tribute, one young man and woman, to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage and sacrifice.

The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future.

"Well there you go" I exclaimed, "how amazing was that! Didn't that just brighten up your day!" I mocked

"So we are gathered here today to give thanks to the Capitol for caring for us throughout our lives. The Capitol have loved us, reared us and protected us through everything and we too should love and protect the Capitol. Think about what they've given us, what they've taught us. Think about what they've still to give and teach us. We shouldn't ruin that by hating the Capitol because where's that going to get us? These are just some things to think about when you're lying in your bed tonight, without having to worry about bombs coming" I paused for laughter but I guess nobody got the joke. Tough crowd, "anyways, what I'm trying to say is that the Capitol are our friends and I don't know about you guys but I love my friends and I certainly don't want to hurt my friends"

"What friends? Nobody likes you" a man in the audience shouted

"Good one but i would appreciate it if you would insult me after I've finished my speech"

He was dragged out of the crowd by the head by two peacekeepers. I knew what they were going to do- they were going to take the man to the side of the stages and shoot him

"No wait" I called on the peacekeepers, "stop, he was simply asking a question! What friends? He was simply wondering what my friends were called. Are you even listening to me? Nobody listens to me." A few seconds later, a gun shot went off. I looked at every single face in the audience. Scared, fearful, sad every negative emotion in the world is what every face was holding. I can remember feeling every single one of those emotions.

I looked to my side to see Effie encouraging me to keep going. I scowled at her and continued with the reaping "Ladies first, I suppose"

I swirled around the names in the bucket. Hmm, that's quite massaging. I could do this for a while. Swish to the left, swoosh to the right. Swish, swoosh, swish, swoosh, swish, swoosh. I was brought back into reality by a strong cough from the side of the stage. I glared at Effie and chose the first piece of paper that swished and swooshed into my hand "Primrose Everdeen"