Chapter 16

A multitude of peacekeepers surrounded me as I exited the car which took me to the main court house/prison cells. They all asked me a bunch of questions

"did you do it?"

"No"

"If you didn't do it then who did"

"I don't know"

"if you didn't do it then why are there witnesses that say they saw you do it?"

"I don't know"

"Did you maybe just put it in there by mistake?"

"I DIDN'T DO IT, OKAY" I shouted, "FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE CAN SOMEBODY JUST BELIEVE ME?"

"Miss, shouting is not helping your case" a peacekeeper explained

"Well nothing's really helping my case at the moment anyway" I sighed, "no matter what i say, you're pretty adamant to your decision"

"Well obviously, Miss Hawthorne, you're not willing to co-operate with the services of questioning that we're providing so I think it's time to get stronger authority in" the peacekeeper sighed

The peacekeeper upped and left the room, leaving just the four walls and I. Well this is great. I've had such a good year; the best! Who doesn't like being arrested? Personally, I love it!

An hour or so later, not like I was timing it, he came back in again with president snow following. God, he's the LAST person I want to see today.

"Got yourself I to a bit of bother I see, Miss Hawthorne" he smiled

"I guess you could say that" I mumbled

"Well, we've looked at CCTV and nothing shows up" he said, "the witness that apparently saw you place the necklace into your bag has extracted their statement so there's just one thing left to ask. Did you do it?"

"No" I said calmly

"Well I guess that's it" he concluded, "you're free to go"

"Yeah, okay" I laughed, "come on now Coriolanus, I'll tell the jokes around here"

"I'm being serious" he answered, "we have no evidence that you stole the necklace and all we can take now is your word. So off you go now, Miss Hawthorne. Before I change my mind"

I got out of that building as fast as my feet could carry me. As much as I hate snow, he save my ass and you've got to respect somebody who saved your ass.
I scurried home, expecting to see Johanna lying on her lazy ass on the sofa but no; she wasn't there. Well, what am I going to do with myself now? I walked into my room to get one of the books that I had recently bought. It didn't sound too interesting. It was about a boy who murdered his parents; not a very happy book. The front of it was point black with droplets of red pain, symbolising blood, and then in purple writing, "murdering the givers of life" which was the title. It sounded quite vicious and gory but then again, who am I to judge a book by its cover?
I decided that it would be best if I read my book in the livingroom, so I took a slow walk in. All of a sudden, I seen a darkness coming towards me. Spirals of green and red were circling all around. I was swaying from side to side, leaving my balance to be questioned. I staggered right, then left and then suddenly, I fell to the ground. I tried to scream out but it didn't work; my throat was clenched stiff.

*

Fire. Fire spreading everywhere. Bombs. Bombs dropping everywhere. What am I to do? I'm helpless. I could hear the screams of the capitolian citizens coming from every corner. They've fought back. The citizens of the districts of Panem have fought back. It's never happened before, not as fierce and as violent as this. I can tell you one thing though; this won't end well.

The fire was spreading quickly; faster than we were running. God, we have to get out of this building. We have to.
The fire was gaining on us. He was running faster than I was, screaming my name to keep up. I couldn't. I couldn't keep up. Suddenly, a bit of the roof came down and landed no more than 5 meters in front of me. I called his name multiple times but he never answered once. Tears were streaming down my face, my best friend, my love. I screamed for help but nobody answered. A bright yellow light was shining ahead of me. This was my chance. This was my chance to escape.

The roof continued to fall down bit by bit. I spotted three men ahead, shouting for me to get out of the building. I couldn't leave him. He wouldn't leave me if it I was under there. But then again, if I left I could get help to go back in there and rescue him. I ran from the building as minutes later, it collapsed and with it, my hope. He was gone. I knew he was gone. Forever. There was no going back. I should've stayed in the building and died with him. I love him. I love Chance.

*

"Renae?" A voice echoed, "are you okay?"

I opened my eyes to see Finnick and Johanna staring down at me. God, what's they're problem no need to be so close.

"Are you okay?" Finnick asked with a worried look on his face

"Where am I?" I questioned, ignoring his question

"You're in the hospital" he answered, stroking my hair

"Why?"

"You passed out" he replied , "Johanna came in and found you on the floor"

"I was worried sick!" She exclaimed, "I thought you were dead"

"Why did I pass out?" I wondered

"The doctor said that it was out of stress and that you should probably take a break" Finnick said, "so I booked us two train tickets to district 12. We leave tomorrow"

"You want me to be free of stress but you book train tickets to district 12? Care to tell me where the logic is in that?"

"I thought it would be nice" he stuttered

"Yeah well you thought wrong. I'm not going"

"But I've already paid and booked the tickets" finnick pouted

"Well take Johanna then"

"Yeah right. I'm jot going to that dump" she snapped,

"Come on, Renae" finnick pleaded, "you'll be able to see Haymitch, Karniss and Peeta again. And I'll be with you?"

"Okay, fine" I gave in, "but just for a few days, okay?"

"Sure" finnick smiled

Oh what have I done?

**

How was chapter 16?

The bit in italics? Yeah, that was a flashback that Renae was having. I'll not tell you what it was (obviously a fire) or who was in the first as it will be in the next chapter or the chapter after that.

Rebecca :)