Chapter 20: Spicy Chemistry

"Blake?  Mind showing us Thorium using Louis' Model?" I look over slightly at Dan's paper. Copying down what he had written down, unfortunately, he catches me in the act. "Hey you little cheat!" He grabs my left hand so I switch the pen over to my right hand. "Hah! I can write with both!" I whisper-yell in victory. "Hasn't it been only like two days since you've met me? A total of five days with your family?" Dan asks suddenly. I drop my pen on the floor willingly. It could hide my face of utter exhaustion and devastation at the idea that it had been and almost an entire week. Five days. Seems familiar. Oh right... Of course, we can't keep track of another mouth to feed right? We can't at least help her out a bit right? Without having had realized I seemed to have been saying those things out loud and wreaking havoc in the classroom. "Ms.Dahlberg please step outside if you need to..." I dash out into the hallway. I need more time with Sarah. It cannot just end like this. I hide out for a bit until Dan finds me. "I need a ride." Dan looks absolutely baffled. "No time to explain, just please?" Dan looks at me shaking his head. "I'm not the one with a car. We could ask Phil though..." I nod furiously.

Phil walks out of his classroom looking immensely terrified of the fact that both me and Dan are outside of his classroom and just spoke to his teacher about "urgent 'family' issues". We both look at him straight in the face and then look at the teacher. "Oh Phil, please come home, it's just terrible, isn't it?" I nudge Dan. "Uh- eh - eUGH Oh yes! Poor Auntie Lester..." We dragged him away from anyone's view. "We-"I need a ride." I look a Dan with a frown that hopefully says 'stay out of it' "We can't have all three of us get in trouble for doing this..." Dan nods and waves to both Phil and I. "OKay... but what about my say in this?" Oops. "Sorry, just assume-" "Well, you assumed right. Let's get going." We almost run through the school, meaning I basically drag Phil towards the parking lot.

"Okay which one is it?""Dunno. Wanna take a guess?"

"That one?"

"Nope"

"Give me a hint."

"Red and pretty-"

"OOOH"

"Old."

"Good enough! Come on, open up!"
I think his car actually sucks a lot less than most of these other ones. Still old and rickety. "Where to?" Home to Sarah. This is her last day with us I may as well make it the best.
"Okay I get it... " 

~

Phil was about to knock when I realized how stupid that may be. "Stop! What if Adam or Alesa see me?" I lead him out back crouching slowly and listening for any sounds through the conveniently opened windows.  I trip over and fall and Phil almost falls until he catches himself. "What was that?" "Probably a raccoon." We both hear through the now inconveniently open windows. Did I mention that we were crouching. Did I also mention I fell on my face while crouching? I kept going til we reached the back door of the house. I had to crawl back under one of the windows to see who exactly was there. "Adam, you wanna go get some groceries?" "Sure comin' with?" I hear Sarah reply with a quick 'no thanks'.  "We'll be back after the doctor's appointment." We both hear the door shut and I silently crawl through one of the windows as Phil not-so-silently crawls in through another. We hear footsteps coming towards us carefully.
Sarah had grabbed an umbrella and attacked Phil with it. "Woah! CHILL. He's a friend of mine!" I sigh and help Phil up. "Lily what are you doing here?!" "We're going somewhere! Go get a swimsuit and some shades." I laugh as I push her up the stairs. "Phil can you help me make some snacks?" He nods and walks towards the refrigerator.

Sarah left a note telling them that she went out to the park for the day. I call Adam during my 'first period'. "Hey dad! I forgot to tell you that I'm going over to Eli's house after school and I just wanted to tell you so that you don't panic when I come home late!" I speak into the phone pretending as if I have to be quiet in the hall. "Sure thing just make sure to call us when you're coming home." I hang up and look at Phil and Sarah in triumph.  We already had everything we needed in the car and so we started driving.. Of course, I had brought a few CDs and popped 'em into the radio making sure that both Phil and Sarah were singing along with me.  "So just drive down this road south." Phil nods and continues to smile as he sings along to the pop song. We end up getting close to a sign and Phil slows down. "Erm, Lily, you do know if we keep going south we won't be in the country... " I nod and keep singing lousily. I simply urge him to continue for Sarah.

Soon we entered the land of Mexico! "Of course not without Phil saying "Oh my gosh look at the sign!" He slows down a bit but I look at him in the eyes and gesture to Sarah. Sarah had been sleeping for a good half hour. "Please just do it for her." I even added the puppy eyes. He continues to drive at the speed he was before. "Okay. But I swear this is the last time I do you a big favor." I nod happily just exuberant at the fact that he was even actually doing it in the first place. "THANK YOU! Thank you thank you thank you!" I almost hug him but then realize how stupid it would have been to hug a driver, while they're driving. "I turn up the music just a bit louder. I enjoyed it much more knowing that Phil and I both agreed and were on board. Now I just need to surprise Sarah with a "Hola!" and a sombrero.

~

"I cannot believe you did this?!" Sarah looks around at the beautiful beach. It is pretty empty for a beach in Mexico. The ocean somehow looks more deep and blue than it does in L.A. I unpack everything from Phil's car starting with the towels and bathing suits. "Let's get moist!" I hand both Sarah and Phil their respective swimwear and start towards the washrooms with Sarah.  "So why the surprise? Did you let Adam and Alesa know?" I shrug "more or less... I doubt they would check if I'm actually sleeping over at Eli's house... Or would they? Oh gosh, I hope not..." Sarah laughs at my sudden train of thought. She looks at me oddly and then she hugs me tightly. "Weren't we supposed to be changing by now?" She asks, her voice slightly muffled by my shirt. I laugh and nod at her, "Okay, yeah let's do that. Hah!" We finally finished changing and walked out to find Phil literally dying of boredom. "Jeez did you guys do your water-proof makeup in there too?" We end up racing each other towards the waves. One thing I had never really thought out was that I didn't swim very well. Luckily, neither did Sarah. We stayed in the shallow parts of the waves and swayed along with them, making sure not to accidentally drown each other.

Sarah had already gotten a bit tired of swimming and decided to give her skin a little tan on the sand. At this point I hadn't even noticed that Phil had already gotten out of the water and was getting a drink. I walk swiftly over to him. "We've got about three more hours and then we can go okay?" He nods taking a sip of his pink drink. "I think we should head over to the other side of the beach..." He looks at me puzzlingly. "Why?" "Well, there's not really a specific reason... I think I just wanna walk, you know?" He continues to nod like he has any idea what I'm talking about. We both know he definitely does not know. Walking down the beach, the warm sand being caught between my toes, Sarah and I were both getting slightly tan and Phil was just getting sunburned. Poor soul can't get a decent tan in the sun. I could now see the ledge from here. Luckily, both of my companions have yet to see any of the real action. As soon as we near the precipice we see someone standing at the edge about to jump. Clearly we are all alarmed by this, until, they start to fly through the air. Almost like a bird...