Chapter 21 - "Earth to Kade."

The end of September came and went and Lennon happily realized she had survived her two months of being Kade's "girlfriend". She had jokingly asked if anyone celebrated their two month anniversary. Kade's strange look had been answer enough. Although, she thought she deserved a celebration for making it through.

Jordan had informed her that they had people planning the surprise birthday party for Kade's birthday that was towards the end of October. Technically, she was planning it. She hadn't even known Kade's birthday was coming up. She had told him about the party the next time she saw him.

"Didn't you just say surprise party?" he asked.

"Yeah. It's suppose to be a surprise but you don't seem like someone who likes surprises."

She had paused to see if he would disagree.

He didn't.

"Since I'm not doing anything to plan it, I thought the least I could do was give you a heads up."

*****************************

The day of Kade's party Lennon drove to his apartment. She thanked Stan as he opened her car door the second she arrived. Kade's apartment was quiet when the elevator doors opened. She caught a quick look at him sitting on a barstool as she entered.

"I know I'm running late!" she called out. "I'm going to use the bathroom real quick and then we can go. Are you ready?"

She didn't wait for a response as she walked to the bathroom.

"I think the car should be here. Have you been working on your surprised face?" She asked as she walked back to Kade. "Matt and Jordan won't be happy if they find out I told you about the party."

She laughed to herself but stopped when Kade didn't respond. He didn't even look at her. Lennon frowned as she moved closer.

His hair was a mess. Although he had on black slacks, his button down shirt was open, revealing a white undershirt. His eyes were transfixed on his phone. He acted like he hadn't heard a single thing she had said since she had walked in.

"Earth to Kade," she joked, trying to combat the worry she felt over his silence with humor.

"Kade, what's wrong?" She asked more seriously.

She moved in front of him and he finally looked up at her.

"What is it?" she asked.

Her stomach involuntarily dropped at the look in his eyes. They were shiny with tears building up. He looked lost for words.

"Kade, talk to me," she said.

She moved to his side. Her mind jumped to the worst conclusions. She needed him to say something. She knew she must be over reacting and everything was alright.

"Kade," she said softly, touching his shoulder.

The touch seemed to break him out of whatever was holding him. He looked at her with sad eyes.

"Lennon," he said.

He stood up abruptly. He started to walk but stopped, lost.

"Kade, what's wrong?" Lennon asked again, moving towards him.

His eyes landed on her and he stood up straighter.

"It's my grandpa," he said flatly. "He had a heart attack."

Lennon was flooded with sympathy and she quickly closed the distance between them but didn't touch him. She knew first hand that sometimes you needed space to face something hard when all everyone wanted to do was hug and crowd you.