Chapter 22 - "Cause I'm Batman."

A wave of apprehension washed over Lennon as she faced the house, preparing herself to enter the halloween party.

She hadn't heard from Kade for a week. She had reached out once or twice but wasn't surprised when she didn't get a response. She knew he must have been busy with his family.

But he had been back in LA for almost two days and she had yet to see him. They were suppose to drive to the Halloween party together but he had texted last minute to let her know he was catching another ride. She had hoped for a little time to catch up with him before they were seen together. Now, walking into the party alone, she felt blind and unsure of how he would act.

The large front doors to the house were open and Lennon stepped into a large entry way. The floor was shining black tile and the first thing she caught sight of was a pair of dramatic staircases, one on either side of the entry way, sweeping up into the second story with cobwebs with large spiders covering the banisters. The lights were low and there were Jack o lanterns along the window sills.

Lennon's eyes darted everywhere as she took in all the different costumes. She smiled at the people she passed, looking for a familiar face she could attach herself with until she found Kade.

She was moving through a doorway when a tall Batman reached out and grabbed her arm. She studied the eyes, unsure who it was. The Batman gave her a smirk before he removed his mask to reveal Kade's friend Devon.

"Hey!" she said.

"Hey, you look good," he said, checking out her little Bo-Peep costume.

"Thanks. Kade is dressing up as Woody.  I like your costume. It's very realistic," she said, tapping the plastic chest piece he was wearing.

"Of course it's realistic," he said in his usual cocky manner. "Cause I'm Batman."

Lennon laughed at the deep voice he had put on.

"How have you been?" Lennon asked.

Devon's face fell and he gave her a serous look. 

"Awful," he said dramatically.

Lennon gave him a curious look.

"Awful because you still haven't been to one of my games. Your name is on the list. Why have you kept me waiting?"

Lennon smiled and shook her head.

"I never heard from you," she argued.

"I said you had an open invitation. To any game and I meant it."

"Then I might have to take you up on that offer," she said.

"Don't make a promise you don't intend to keep," he said. "I can't take anymore heart break."

A camera flash cut off her response. She turned to see a photographer taking pictures.

"How about Batman and Little Bo Peep?" the photographer suggested.

"Of course," Devon said.

He pulled Lennon to his side and wrapped an arm around her.

"I'll have to make sure I get a copy of that," Devon said as the photographer moved on.

"You do that," Lennon said. "Have you seen Kade?"

As Devon was responding someone wrapped an arm around her.

"There you are," Kade said.

Lennon turned towards him, surprised. Before she could get a good look at him, he kissed her.