A Wedding-ish Special!

Lennon held her breath as she opened the front door to Kade's house and prayed it didn't squeak. She paused for a moment in the dark and silent entryway, making sure she hadn't woken anyone before she proceeded to the stairs. Passing the dining room, she caught sight of the table covered in buckets upon buckets of flowers. They had arrived that afternoon and had turned Kade's parents house into a garden.

She zig-zagged up the stairs, skipping over the squeaky steps and feeling like a teenager sneaking in after curfew. The adrenaline made the night feel thrilling and she felt ten years younger as she snuck past Robbie's room and stopped in front of Kade's.

Cracking the door open, she slipped inside and noiselessly shut it. The room was quiet except for Kade's deep and steady breathing. Lennon smiled. He was sprawled out, enjoying the freedom of not sharing the bed.

As she sat on the edge of the bed, he stirred and when his sleepy eyes focused on her, he bolted up in surprise.

"Len, what's wrong?" he whispered, reaching out for her.

She smiled as he rubbed his eyes.

"Do I need a reason to see my husband?" she playfully asked.

Kade turned to the clock then back to her.

"When it's two in the morning you do,"  he said.

"I have a surprise for you."

They both kept their voices barely above a whisper.

"A surprise?" Kade asked.

Lennon nodded.

"But you have to come with me," she said.

Kade slowly climbed out of bed and yawned.

"Sorry I interrupted your beauty sleep," she said.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"I don't mind," he said, pulling her close. "Just don't complain when my good looks are a bit haggard tomorrow."

Lennon smiled as she kissed him again.

"You'll still be dashingly handsome to me."

"Wait, you can't be here," Kade said.

He pulled away from Lennon and covered his eyes.

"I'm not suppose to see you on our wedding day. It's bad luck."

"Is this bad luck?" Lennon asked, kissing him.

She smiled when Kade dropped his hand from his eyes and kissed her back.

"But really," he tried to argue between kisses. "We're not suppose to see each other."

"I don't think that still counts when you eloped six months before the wedding celebrations," she argued. He still hesitated. "Real relationships aren't suppose to start with a fake dating contract," she added. "We don't do things the normal way."

"True," Kade smiled.

Lennon stepped back and took his hand.

"Come with me," she said.

She let him out of his room, noiselessly down the stairs and outside. The concrete still held remnants of the summer day's heat and the air still held a hint of humidity. An almost full moon cast their shadows on the sidewalk.

"Where are we going?" he asked, as they left his driveway.

"You'll see," Lennon said.

"Seriously, are you feeling ok?" he asked, as they passed his uncle and aunt's house and kept walking.