Chapter 32 - "So you could kill her?"

The next morning a deep wrenching cough sent a sharp pain into Lennon's chest, pulling her from sleep. She lay motionless for a while, her mind wandering in and out of consciousness. She finally heaved the mountain of blankets back and got out of bed. Her movement was slow and labored as she moved to the couch.

Bright light streamed through the front window. A chill ran up her spine and she reached for a blanket and wrapped it around herself. The pain in her head was sharp, and continued to grow worse until it was unbearable. She noticed a full cup of water on the coffee table, two pills and a note in Kade's handwriting.

"Take these when you get up. I went home to change. Should be back by 12. Call if you need me before then."

Lennon took the pills and drank the whole glass of water. She reached for the remote. She flipped through the channels until she found a rerun of a classic sitcom and she let it play.

There was a knock on the door as the episode finished. Lennon began to slowly move to answer until she heard a key in the lock.

"Hey," Kade said, opening the door. "I hope you don't mind that I took your keys. You were still out this morning when I left. I didn't want to have to wake you up to get back in."

Lennon felt relief at the sight of him, knowing she wouldn't have to be alone.

"It's fine," she said, laying back down.

Her eyes went to the large brown paper bag in his arms.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, setting the bag down on the table.

"Not great," she said hoarsely.

There was a heavy fog in her brain, that she hadn't had the day before, and her throat felt raw.

"I'm sorry. I brought food if you're hungry."

He began to pull things out of the bag.

"I brought chicken noodle soup, crackers and Popsicles. I wasn't sure what flavors you liked, so I bought all of them."

He held up four boxes. She smiled at how thoughtful he had been.

"I like strawberry," she said.

"Good to know."

He took the boxes of Popsicles and put them in the freezer. Lennon watched him do it, liking how comfortable he seemed in her apartment.

"Thanks so much," she said as he joined her on the couch.

"No problem. Do you want something to eat?" he asked.

She hesitated. She was hungry, but she felt guilty asking him to take care of her.

"I can grab something," she said, waving her hand in the direction of the kitchen.

The movement caused pain to shot through her head and her hand automatically went to her temples. She applied pressure, trying to combat the pressure within.

"Do you like eggs scrambled or fried?" Kade said.

He moved into the kitchen.

"You don't have —"

"Scrambled or fried?" He asked, cutting her off.

She turned to see him giving her a determined, flat look and gave in.

"Scrambled," she said quietly.

"See how easy that was?"

Lennon barely moved from her spot on the couch all day. Whenever she tried to do anything for herself she got a stern look from Kade.

"I'll have to add bossy to my list of character traits for you," she croaked.