dog perks. | iwaizumi hajime

word count: 1123
genre: alternate universe / werewolf au
notes: i don't know if it's just me or is hajime one of the haikyuu!! characters that fits to be a werewolf

[🔱]

Your fiancé - Iwaizumi Hajime - is a werewolf.

You weren't a huge fan of fantasies and you wouldn't say that you didn't almost piss your pants when you found out about it. It may seem very appalling for a couple of weeks but in the end, you just have to live with the fact that he changes form every full moon - from a handsome man to a fearsome beast. Now, you even willingly go out and wander with him in the woods in the middle of the night.

Of course, you didn't take it well at first. Exactly on the day you discovered his secret, you we're furious and whilst doing so, you were gesticulating wildly at him. Lucky for you, he was in his human form so he listened to your every rant, dodging and blocking your hands with his muscular arms and backpedaling his heels every time you stomped forward. When you had it, you decided to throw an object at him. You remembered throwing a TV remote. Having sharp reflexes, he easily dodged the object and his eyes followed the remote as it flew above him. For a second, you saw his eyes widened in delight and the next thing that happened baffled you.

He barked - sort of. It was a low-tone sort of bark and then he chased after the remote. You watched with eyebrows puckered in confusion. Just before the remote hits the ground, Hajime slid on the wooden floor and (amazingly) caught it with his mouth. You couldn't help but let your jaw drop at the stupefying sight.

Then, he sat up with the remote still in his mouth. He looked at you and noticed your deadpanned face and hanging jaw. Realizing that he's making a fool of himself, he abruptly took out the remote from his mouth. He stood up, cleared his throat nervously and his two fingers pointed at you.

"Please pretend 'that' didn't happen." Hajime told you.

You remained deadpanned and only let out a small, indefinite chuckle.

"[N-Name]?"

You couldn't stay mad at him for long, after accidentally discovered that 'weird' side of him. Ever since then, you began to randomly toss objects - the unbreakable ones - in the house whenever Hajime is around and he would just chase after them, either catching it with his hands or his mouth. Even though he yells at you in the end, it was still worth it and you refuse to stop. You know it was an 'inhuman' way to treat him, but hey, it was hard to resist. Hajime being a part dog just happened to have its own perks. Plus, you began to buy more dogs toys (secretly).

But some things don't last forever - and you could say the same towards your antics. The time when Hajime would just catch the objects you randomly throw, somehow, he didn't seemed to be like that anymore.

Because this time, he wouldn't chase them and just let them fall to the ground. Though his eyes still follows as it flew pass him, usually accompanied with a flinch, clearly indicating that he's trying to restrict himself and you found that to be the cutest thing ever and also unbearably adorable.

It's evening and you're currently lying on the loveseat, taking up the whole space for yourself while Hajime sat on another couch. The shows airing on TV aren't that entertaining and bore you. Sliding your [eye colour] pupils to Hajime, a devilish smirk crept up your lips while your hand trailed to grab a bone-like pillow resting on your side. Then, you launched the pillow at him, aiming just a few inches in front of his face.

"Hajime, catch!"

Having his eyes completely glued on the TV, he jumped when the bone-like pillow flew in front of him and since it passed in a matter of milliseconds, he thought that it was a real bone for a moment and almost went after it which then resulted in him flinching as he tries to hold himself from doing so. He quickly realizes that it was just one of your stupid and annoying antics towards him that has been going on for almost a year now.

You burst your lips, stifling a laugh. Hajime glared at you, both of his hands clenched into tight fists as he tries to bury his part-dog instinct that lit up when you threw the pillow. You noticed he also had trouble keeping his butt on the couch.

"What's wrong boy?" You teased.

"Would you please stop doing that?" He bellowed.

"No~" You shook your head playfully.

You grabbed another pillow and pretended to throw it, making Hajime flinched again, thinking that you would do it.

"If you do that one more time, I swear--"

But before he could finish talking, you threw a small vase carelessly. Hajime gasped as he let himself fall from the couch to save the dead but fragile object.

"Holy full moon! What the heck, [Name]?!"

He got up, rubbing his temple as he did. "Look, we can do this when I change, okay? I'll let you play for as long as you like."

"Hmmmm ..." You only hummed at his offer. Turning your head to the side, your eyes fell on the calendar nailed to the wall. There was a date you marked in a circle with a red marker, which means a full moon will occur on that day. Pondering for a while, you realized that date is today.

"Hey, tonight's full moon." You stated and abruptly got up from the loveseat. "We have to go to the woods now."

Hajime had his backpack filled with snacks. He was ready to go but you stopped him just before he could step outside and told him that you were going to bring some more stuff. So, you had him wait in front of the door while you rushed back to your room to get whatever stuff you're going to bring. It didn't take him long to hear another rushing footsteps on the stairs. You came down with a [favourite colour] backpack already slung onto your shoulders and it puzzled him because they somehow looked heavy.

"Okay, let's go."

He was curious about the backpack and decided to ask first. "What's inside the bag?"

You opened your mouth only to have them closed again. Silent filled the air between you and him for a while, before finally deciding to be honest about it. "Toys. Dog toys mostly."

He frowned. "Wha--"

"No time to explain," you sputtered while pushing him to go out. You locked the door and walked ahead of him. "Gotta get you to the woods, pup."

"DID YOU JUST CALL ME 'PUP'?!"