sakusa kiyoomi : talk is overrated

// inspired by jeremy zucker - talk is overrated //

while sipping a cold beverage from a straw, sakusa attentively watched you munch down a thick subway sandwich. you sat across him, unaware of his gaze. you couldn't care enough about how you look like while eating since you're too busy appeasing the hunger that dwelled in your stomach for the last three hours. it was glorious; the combination of mustard and mayonnaise spreading in your mouth. for a moment, things felt good.

sakusa couldn't walk away when he noticed you storming out of a fancy restaurant. he knew it was you, somehow. the anger once carved on your pretty features was quickly replaced with relief when you turn around after he called your name. then, a simple conversation got cut short when he heard a soft rumble coming from your stomach, which you evidently tried to hide.

as for you, it has been a shitty night. you sat inside the restaurant, waited for two hours, only to painfully realize that you've been stood up. you purposely did not eat a lot during the day so you can enjoy a big dinner. but no, you were left starving. and if sakusa hadn't shown up out of the blue, you would've run home, probably plotting revenge to get back at your date.

in the end, sakusa insisted to take you out to eat. you would've been okay even if he didn't. you heaved out a happy sigh when you stepped on the floors of subway. it's a drastic change—from the fancy restaurant to a 24/7 simple restaurant. however, it was a familiar place. after-campus hours, you two would go and just chill there; eat too, while doing assignments in between. it was a place where you and sakusa formed a bond of friendship over time.

and now, here you are. completely engrossed with the sandwich that sakusa had, once more, insisted to treat you. his decision caught you off guard, which led to a mini fight comprised of:

"what?! no, omi, i'll pay my own food."

"no, i'll pay. now, shut up."

it took a few minutes before you finally gave in. even though you felt grateful, still, you feel indebted to him.

"oh, this is so good," you mumbled right after taking a big bite.

"please, don't talk while you eat," sakusa reprimanded, concern and a hint of disgust clearly displayed on his face. he took two tissues and handed them to you. "here. wipe the mayonnaise off of your face."

you instantly froze, eyes widen. you took the tissues from his hand and wipe every corner of your mouth. "sorry," you mouthed, embarrassed.

"i'm sorry your date didn't go well," he began.

you stopped eating, shrugging dismissively before swallowing your food to speak.

"i don't ... want to talk about it. what happened, happened. and i intend to let it stay that way. honestly, i think i should've seen it coming."

sakusa nodded his head understandingly. and honestly, he never wanted you to go out with that person. they were someone you claimed to be a senior from a different major at campus. but instead of voicing out his thoughts to you, he let them stay internal. he knows he had let many chances of telling you pass by him and he acknowledges the feeling of regret dangling in his heart. he could've prevented this.

cause really i don't know

what the fuck i want

"lots of assholes," you muttered. before shooting him a look. "except you, omi. you're not an asshole. i can't believe you bought me dinner."

"no. you'll have to pay me back tomorrow." he joked.

you smirk, your lips pressed tightly to suppress a laughter. "asshole."

you both shared silent gazes before breaking into a fit of soft giggles. both of your voices filling the quietude of the restaurant. no one else was around, but the neon lights gave off a faint resounding buzz, setting a fitting mood for quiet conversations or none at all. every time you're with sakusa, you feel good. even though he doesn't like to talk much. but his silence was something you've come to appreciate. sakusa probably wouldn't admit it publicly, but he likes to be with you. you were one of those people he finds interesting, even though you can be embarrassing sometimes.

and whenever you're together, the world seemed to fade slowly into background, and for a while, things felt alright.

talk is overrated, let's just vibe

just for tonight