happy birthday! | kuroo tetsurou

word count: 1051
genre: fluff, but there's a secret admirer element
notes: this may not be published on the same date as his birthday, but i always do on dA

[🔱]

"There, it's done." You muttered to yourself as your eyes gaze upon the beautiful medium-sized chocolate cake that you had spent making for around two hours. It looks delicious you have to resist eating it, because it's not for you. On the top of the cake, you had carefully written the words 'Happy Birthday Kuroo Tetsurou!' with a white whipping cream.

"I hope he likes it." You clasped your hand together in a praying mode.

The next day, you decided to give the birthday cake after school just before his volleyball practice.

"Kenma!!!" You shouted as soon as you saw the blonde-haired male, just before he could reach the school's gym for practice. Kenma turned around and faced you. "C-can you give this to you-know-who?" You whispered to him as you hand the gift adorned with red ribbons. "It's his birthday today, right?"

Kenma first looked at the medium-sized gift on your hand then his eyes looked at you and smiled. "Yeah. I'll give it to him for you." He said as he took the gift from your hands.

"Thank you so mucho much, Kenma!" You thanked the boy. "Oh, don't tell him it's from me."

"Don't mention it. Okay, I won't tell." He replied casually.

Kenma continued to make his way toward the gym, now with your gift in his hands. As he stepped inside, everybody just started warming up. He saw Tetsurō currently wearing his black kneepad. He made his way to his close friend.

"Kuroo, this is for you." Kenma said as he handed Tetsurō your gift.

"Oyaoyaoya, what is this?" Tetsurō quirked an eyebrow at the gift. He took it from Kenma's hand and inspect it.

Everyone noticed the gift and laid their eyes on it, with raising eyebrows. They stopped warming up and walked to where Tetsurō and Kenma are.

"Who's this from?" Tetsurō asked as he looked at Kenma.

"I'm not allowed to tell." Kenma replied.

"OH MY GOD KUROO-SENPAI GOT A GIFT FROM A SECRET ADMIRER!" Taketora suddenly yelled, surprising everyone. "I'M SO JEALOUSSSSS."

"Well then, what are you waiting for?" Morisuke said. "Open it."

Tetsurō carefully untie the red ribbons as his teammates watched intently behind him, their eyes gleaming with pure curiosity. When all the red ribbons have been taken off, it is just a white box and Tetsurō opened it.They all gasped in awe as they saw a delicious, chocolate birthday cake inside. Tetsurō carefully lifted it from the box and something fell. He saw a piece of paper on the floor. Kenma picked it up and gave it to him. Then, he reads it.

This is a birthday cake I made for you. Please eat it with your teammates. Happy Birthday, and have an amazing day : )

"And I'm still jealous over here." Taketora grumbled.

"But we still have to practice." Morisuke reminded.

"I'm the captain, so today, NO PRACTICE!" Tetsurō told them.

"YEAAAYYYY!" Everyone cheered, except for Kenma. While Morisuke just shook his head.

"He didn't even think about it." He muttered.

That night, Tetsurō visited Kenma's place for their usual study together session and are currently taking a break. Kenma is on his phone, not playing a game, but chatting with you.

(username)

What did he say about the cake?
18:30

Apple_pi

He said it's very delicious. Everyone liked it, (y/n)-san. I did too.
18:31

(username)

I'm so glad to hear that!! \(*^▽^*)/
18:31

"Are you chatting? Who're you chatting with?" Tetsurō suddenly asked and become curious. He leaned towards Kenma to see his phone screen.

"A friend." Kenma stated while drawing back his phone so Tetsurō couldn't see it.

Suddenly, Kenma's mom called him from downstairs. He immediately stood up and dashed out of his room to see his mom. Tetsurō leaned back on the chair and let out a sigh as he wait for his best friend to return. While waiting, he tapped his fingers on the table.

He saw Kenma's phone on the table and without thinking, he took it. Because they are childhood friends, he knows Kenma's phone password - so he decided to unlock it, which he did. It revealed Kenma's chat with you but being the curious asshole he is, he scrolled up to see the rest of the chat. That's when he discovered the person who made the birthday cake for him - you.

Tetsurō clicked the message bar and began to type.

Apple_Pi:

My mom wants to talk to you, is it okay if she calls?
18:34

(username):

Yeah sure!
18:34

You replied without knowing that Tetsurō typed the text. Tetsurō grinned as he pressed the call button. When you got the call, you swipe the green color button to answer.

"Hi Mrs. Kozume! How are you?" You said through the phone.

"Hi [username]-chan, this is Kuroo Tetsurō speaking."

Your eyes widened and your jaw dropped. You instinctively covered your currently gaping mouth with your other hand. Despite of how much shock you're in, you didn't hang up.

"Sorry I lied. Um, I want to thank you for making me a birthday cake. Honestly, it was the first cake I got from a secret admirer. But now it's not a secret anymore, is it? The cake was delicious by the way, you should make another one for me next year." He joked.

Just then, Kenma walks in and was shocked when he saw his phone in Tetsurō's hand. But the captain raised his other hand, gesturing Kenma to stay put for a moment.

"I actually left a piece for you. So, how about we meet? School rooftoop, okay? I'll be waiting. Good night, [username]-chan." He said.

"Here you go." Tetsurō gave back Kenma's phone and he immediately snatched it away from his hand.

Your hands shook badly and you could feel your palm getting wet because of all the nervousness. Your heart was palpitating, making you pant.

"Oh ... My ... " You uttered under your breath before passing out.

Kenma noticed that the call hasn't ended. He checked to hear if you're still calling.

"[Name]-san?" Kenma called. "Hello? (y/n)-san? ... Hello?"

There was no response.

"I think you killed her, Kuroo." Kenma said as he ended the call.

So curiosity did not kill the cat, but the reader.