Part 5

Emma pours milk into her cream mixture, beating it until it reaches the desired consistency. She's trying some new fillings that may or may not have been inspired by a certain deputy she couldn't get out of her mind. Their encounter yesterday had her resorting to a certain activity that she usually did to relieve stress. And thinking of him while relieving her stress gave her the best self-administered orgasm she ever had. She's still grinning ear-to-ear from it.

After she lifts up the beaters, she spoons the mixture into a piping bag. The doughnuts were already cooled and glazed and after she had one filled, there was a knock on the back door. She looked at her watch to see that it was five-thirty in the morning, so who could possibly be at the door? Elsa didn't arrive until a little before seven. Emma began to panic slightly, because there had been a few break-ins at some of the other shops, so whoever the thief was probably knew she would be here at this hour. She lets a long breath trying to calm her nerves because she knows she's being ridiculous. Who would be dumb enough to rob the bakery across from the sheriff station anyway? She walked over to the door and peered through the peephole, letting out a sigh of relief. She opens the door and has never been so happy to see those sparkling blue eyes in front of her.

"Morning, love."

She gives him a dirty look. "Killian, what are you doing here? I thought you were a robber or something, knocking on my door at this hour."

"Sorry, Swan. Didn't mean to frighten you. I just had a hankering for something sweet and came to get my Danish I left yesterday."

"Really? That's the excuse you're going with?" she asks sarcastically.

"I also thought maybe you could use a hand with something. It's been a pretty dull night."

Emma rolls her eyes at him while trying not to think about exactly what he could do with those hands of his. "Actually there is something you can help me with." She tilts her head, beckoning him to follow her into the kitchen. "Have a seat. You can do some taste-testing for me."

She sits on a stool at the counter as he takes the one next to her. She grabs a spoon and dips it into one of the metal bowls of filling she had made, scooping it up.

"I'm trying this new filling, so let me know what you think."

"You mean I have the honor of being the first to taste this concoction of yours?" he asks with a wide smirk on his face.

"Just shut up and taste it," she laughs. She raises the spoon to his lips and he parts his mouth as she feeds it to him. When she removes it, he closes his eyes.

"Mmm, bloody amazing." His moans send shivers down her spine.

"I used fresh raspberries from the shipment yesterday."

He opens his eyes and licks his lips. "You are quite a marvel, love."

She sets the spoon down and turns toward him, resting an elbow on the counter-top. "So, my Dad put you up to this didn't he? He thinks I can't take care of myself and asked you to keep an eye on me, right?"

Killian nods in surrender. "He just cares about you, Emma."

"I know, but I've spent most of my life without him looking out for me. I think I can manage it now. Besides who's going to rob the shop across from the station, anyway?"

Killian's eyes went soft, a solemn expression taking over his features and she can see the pain in them. "You would be surprised to know what someone would do for a little cash. What they would give up."

"Something tells me you know first hand."

"I've been a witness to it." He drops his eyes and lets out a long sigh. "When I was seven, my brother and I went to a corner shop near home with our mother. It was in the middle of the day, but we were the only customers in the store. A man came in with a gun and held it to the clerk and before he could escape with the cash, he heard police sirens and panicked." Killian closed his eyes and let out a deep breath before he opened them again and she could see tears welling up in them as he continued. "A shot was fired... and... our mother was hit trying to protect us as he ran past her. She was rushed to the hospital but she didn't make it."