Part 12

It's a cold, dreary day as Emma stands between August and Killian, her hand in Killian's during the sermon. Though Killian did not know the man, he came to know August a bit and he wanted be there for him because he is an important person in Emma's life.

The funeral took place outside and afterwards, friends and family of the deceased paid their respects before leaving.

"Sorry for your loss, August." Killian shakes his hand and August gives him a weak smile.

"Thanks, Killian. And Emma, thanks again for helping with all of this. I don't know what I would do without you."

"What are sisters for?" she asks, giving him a hug and placing a chaste kiss on his cheek.

David and Margaret approaches, giving him a hug as well before they leave. David politely nodds at Killian as him and Mary Margaret walks away. Things had been a bit tense at the station since David found out about his daughter and his deputy, and had given Killian the whole spiel about going after him if he ever hurt her. But after what had transpired, Killian was there for August and Emma, so David was slowly coming around.

Later that night, Emma sits with August on the couch talking after she tucked in Henry. Killian had already left hours ago.

"Listen, Emma, I'm not going to be staying here much longer and I won't be able to help out at the bakery anymore. My father left his house and woodshop for me. I'm not sure if I'll keep the house, but either way, I think I need a place of my own. Especially now that you have a boyfriend... I just don't want to get in the way."

Emma rubs his back soothingly. "August, you would never be in the way. But I figured that you would be moving out after your father passed. And that's okay. You've helped me out so much and I appreciate everything you've done for me and Henry."

"I'll still be here for you both, Emma, just not living under the same roof."

"I know," Emma acknowledges, giving him a weak smile. "So, how long do you think you will stay?"

"I'll stick around for another week so you can find a babysitter for Henry."

"You really don't have to. I mean you're obviously welcome to, but you don't have to worry about us. We can figure out something."

"It's fine, Emma. I really don't mind. Besides, I don't really want to be alone right now."

Emma nods understandingly.

"Well, you're definitely not alone, August. You know if there's anything I can do, I'm here."

"Thank you, Emma," he says as they both stand up, walking towards the hall before they go their separate ways to their bedrooms.

The next night, Emma curls up in Killian's arms as they lay in her bed. He pulls her close as he kisses her forehead and strokes her hair lovingly.

"How's August doing? He's been guiet?"

"He's fine, he just needs some time. And he has a lot on his plate. He's taking over his father's shop and soon he'll be packing his things and moving into his father's place at least for the time being."

"Why doesn't he just stay here where he won't be alone?"

Emma smiles at his concern for August. "I told him that he could, but he said he didn't want to be a burden."

"Well Ill be sure to let him know that if he needs help moving or anything, I'd gladly help."

"Thank you, Killian. That really means a lot to me."

"Of course, love." Killian presses another kiss to her forehead and strokes her arm as she snuggles her face into the crook of his neck.

"When will he be leaving?"