Chapter 17: One Step Closer

~Your POV~

Everyone decided to get a little more sleep so we would be all energized to go after Jennicah. I walked up to my room, picture in hand. Everyone- besides Soul and Maka- went back home to their own homes.

As I turned the doorknob, I felt a soft, yet firm hand grip my shoulder. "We'll bring her back, we promise..." Soul's voice reassured.

I nodded without saying another word and opened my door. As Soul retracted his hand I entered my darkened room. "I hope so, I really hope so..." I muttered, shutting the door behind me.

I walked over to my bed and flopped down onto the soft mattress. I held the picture out in front of me, staring at it for what seemed like decades before I finally cried myself to sleep...

~Soul's POV~

As (Y/n) shut her door, I heard her fall down onto her bed. I sighed and made my way down the hall, entering my own room.

I shut the door and locked it. But with all the thoughts running through my head, I was restless.

I opened a drawer on my cabinet and saw a weird journal inside. "What's that? I don't have a journal like this..."

I picked it up and flipped it open to the first page:

Day 1, October 30

I'm not sure what day it is... But I caught a slight glimpse of Melaina's calendar. I never thought this is what my life would turn out to be... Melaina's already tested multiple experiments, all resulting in fail... I hope.

My eyes widened at the name signed at the bottom. "This is Jennicah's journal..." I quickly flipped to the next page and began reading.

Day 2, October 31

It's Halloween here in Kikyō Village! Of course I'm still locked down here in my cell... But, Happy Halloween! Melaina's out doing some shopping and other things, so I'm free from my daily experimental exam!

Day 3, November 1

It's the first day of the month of November! Only 15 more days until my Birthday! If only somebody even cared... Yesterday after Melaina tossed me 1 piece of candy! I haven't eaten it yet sense I want to savor it for as long as I can!

Day 4, November 2

Ever sense I came to this world, it's been nothing but pain... But unfortunately to m say, it's better than what my parents did to me back in the real world... Melaina gave me her chicken scraps after lunch today! It's been the best food I've had sense I've got here!

Day 5, November 3

A new girl showed up today! It's like the whole universe reset and she's been here the whole time! It's weird! But I'm super happy to have the company! Her name's (Y/n), and she's also my new Meister!

I stopped reading right there. 'What does she mean by "real world"? She keeps saying that like there's a universe parallel to this one...'

But that's impossible... Isn't it? Unless it's not..! I kept reading up until the 12th day. But I took one note in particular. '(Y/n) and Jennicah are from Kikyō Village.'

I finally got up from the chair I was sitting in and rushed out my bedroom door. I knocked on the front of Maka's door, Jennicah's journal in hand.

It took a minute, but she finally opened the door. "Maka, you have to see this!" I whispered, trying not to wake up (Y/n).

She rubbed her eyes and looked at the journal I held out in front of her. She took it in her hands and examined it. "What is it?" She asked.

"Read the first page," I instructed.

She flipped open the cover and read the page all the way to the end. But once she read the signature, her eyes widened at the grogginess left her expression completely.

"Where did you get this?!" She yelled in a whisper tone.

"I found it in one of my cabinet drawers! Jennicah must have left it!" I replied, grabbing the book back.

Maka glanced at the clock, she saw that it was 4:36 in the morning. "Meet me downstairs at 6:00 sharp, I'll wake up (Y/n) when it's time," she demanded.

I nodded and went back to my room. I shut the door behind me and set the journal down onto my desk top.

I got into my bed and set my alarm for 5:30. I pulled the blanket over myself and quickly fell asleep.

~~Time Skip~~

~Maka's POV~

My alarm went off, so I sat up with a sudden burst of adrenaline. I jumped out of bed and hit dressed into my Mission clothes.

I did my hair into my normal pig-tails and brushed my teeth. I stepped out of my room and shut my door.

I slowly walked over to (Y/n)'s door and knocked. After waiting a few seconds, a crash was made from inside. Soon enough, she opened the door with a groggy, depressed expression.

"Get dressed and meet me downstairs in 5 minutes, Soul and I have something super important to show you!"

She nodded and shut her door again. I walked down the steps to the living room and sat down on the couch.

I waited a few more minutes before Soul and (Y/n) walked down the staircase. They both sat down, ready to discuss.

I glanced at Soul, then I looked down at the journal, then back at him. He caught my gestures and nodded. He gripped the book firmly and turned his gaze over to (Y/n). "(Y/n). I found something in my cabinet drawer that you need to see," I stated, handing over the journal.

She flipped it open to the first page and started reading, but as she noticed the signature at the very bottom of the entry, she had the same reaction as Maka and I. Her eyes widened as she swiftly read the pages.

"Is this really hers?" She asked, still not looking away from the text in front of her.

Maka and I nodded. "We believe so," Maka said, folding her hands.

(Y/n) reread almost every page. Looking for clues on where Jennicah might have gone. But I interupted her focused thoughts. "And with this clue, we're one step closer to finding her,"