Chapter 21: A Ceded Soul

Heyo! I know it's been a few months, but... hey! News! I've got a new project I want to take on, and I told myself that I won't start until I've finished this story, my Fairy Tail one, and my Breath of the Wild one. I dunno about the BotW, since I started it not very long ago, and it'll probably take a while to finish. It'll probably just be that I finish this one and the Fairy Tail. Yeah, probably. Anywho, welcome back! And let's move on! Sorry for the long-as-flip intro!

~Narrator POV~

All of you finally made it to Reaper Forest, tired and throats gasping for much-needed air. Well... air that isn't contaminated with sand. You were pretty sure you just ate an entire full-course meal with all that sand. Eh, it was something to fill your stomach so you wouldn't have to deal with traveling on an empty stomach.

...Sometimes you worried yourself when you listened to your own thoughts. Though, it was a given that you listened, considering it was your own thoughts. Sometimes you wished you could've hear yourself.

(Y/n). Stop. You're disturbing the already skeptical environment. Oh, shoot! Kid is saying something! Listen you clod!!

"I've been here before, and... lets just say it would not be the wisest thought to split up, if that's what you all were thinking." He remarked, hands slid casually into his picket, smugly staring at the entrance to the forest.

"But won't we cover more ground if we split up? It makes more sense to look for Jennicah if we have more groups to scavenge different land masses." Liz implied snakily.

"Yeah. And the forest is huge, so... it'll take a lot longer if we don't split into teams. That, and there's bigger risk of Jennicah moving on, and us wasting even more time." Maka added, taking Liz's side.

Kid hummed, and placed a hand to hid chin in thought at the girls' suggestions. "That's what makes this decision difficult. We're at a crossroad where the tracks either lead to uncertain death, or even more uncertain death. Which is better? Having a better chance at saving our own lives and taking a few more days to search for Jennicah? Or splitting up and risking both our lives, and hers? Hm?" He philosophized.

He was right, though, unfortunately. Only Kid new the dangers of this forest first-hand, and so he had the best judgment. Too bad he had to put it into a tacky riddle. Either you could protect yourselves and spend more time looking for Jennicah— who may or may not be alive still— or risk getting ourselves killed, and Jennicah killed, or lost to Melaina. You could be risking your lives for someone who may or may not be dead already; though you like to think she's still alive... You'd hate to see her die like this.

"Kid's right. As much as it pains me to think about it... Jennicah might already be gone. I don't want you all to risk yourselves over this whole thing, just to find out it was all a waste of our time. I don't think we should split up." You interjected, believing that the risk would be to great a feat to attempt.

"I hate downgrading my superior skills, but... (Y/n)'s right. Kid brought up a good point about the whole situation being like a crossroad. With one option, we can almost guarantee our survival. With the other, we don't know for sure. I think it'd be better to stick with what we know, and not what we guess." BlackStar finished, a seemingly aggravated expression clouding his face.

Your eyes widened at BlackStar's saying. And surprisingly... he was right. He even understood Kid's metaphor, which you could tell most the others were having a little difficulty deciphering. You guessed that when he really tried, he make an actual top-notch assassin. You smiled a bit in his direction, gaining a new light of perspective on his character.

He noticed, and blushed a bit, replacing his focused eyes with a wide grin that you were used to seeing on his lips. It was nice to see that even in a time of crisis, you could provide some closure. Especially to someone who didn't exactly see eye-to-eye with everyone. That was a feat accomplished that takes unwavering skill.

"Y-Yeah. I-I agree with Kid, BlackStar, and (Y/n). W-We can't assure that everyone will make it out of the forest if we're s-split up.... Right?" Crona stammered, pursing his lips and glancing around for acceptance to his comment.

Maka nodded with a gentle smile, placing a hand onto Crona's shoulder. "You're absolutely right. I vote we don't split."

Everyone else seemed to agree, and you ten (including Ragnorok) set foot into Reaper Forest. The temperature greatly decreased, and a few rain drops pelted your head, due to the mildew on the trees above you. You felt leaves and branches crackle under your feet, as you looked down to where you were stepping.

The broken bones of your enemies.

You shook your head, looking up, and looking dead ahead. The lush green sea of leaves clouded your surroundings, causing you to need to push them out of your path in order to advance. It wasn't difficult, but it definitely got annoying after about fifteen minutes of a few leaves smacking you in the face from BlackStar letting go (he was walking in front of you). A raindrop dripped down your cheek, causing you to shudder.

The blood of your allies.

You kept walking, eventually reaching a clearing with a grey-ish sky and dark clouds looming above you all. Everyone stopped dead in their tracks, causing you to become a little suspicious.

"C'mon guys... what's the matter—?" You Immediately regretted asking the question upon seeing the scene in front of you unfold.

A woman. A sword. And one cold-lifeless body.

Alright! What a way to end an update, am I right? No? Okay.. good enough for me though. Now.. I'll probably see you tomorrow with yet another update, since I'm trying to update more frequently. Buh-Biee!