Chapter 20: Insightful Dread

Wow. Author-Chan is at last updating. Whoopee. Great... I am so utterly sorry that these are taking so long. But.. in my defense— I got nothing. Sorry. Though, the end of the story is coming up, and... you all won't have to waste your patience on me. Moving on to the chapter!

~Narrator POV~

It had been two days since you, Soul, Maka, Liz, Patty, Kid, Tsubaki, BlackStar, Crona, and Ragnorok had began looking for Jennicah. It almost had seemed hopeless. Well, that's how you felt, anyways. You were tired, dreary, and in need of emotional help. The longer it took to find Jennicah, the closer you felt yourself slipping into insanity.

You clicked your tongue as you took a step forwards. You all were currently in large, open desert, just a few miles from Death City. You all packed plenty of water, food, and supplies, but.. you weren't in physical stress, just mental.

"(Y/n)."

You heard many voices ringing through your head. Not ones you recognized, but still, clear voices.

"Keep going. You're almost there."

The voice was that of a kind female, sounding a bit older than you, perhaps. You responded to her words by thought. Though, you found it strange; you could hear her, but you couldn't hear yourself.

You glanced over at Tsubaki, who looked to have been speaking to you, because her lips were moving. But, no words were heard. You raised an eyebrow, looking at her with somewhat dead eyes. She then stood in front of you, grabbing your shoulders and seemed to be increasing the volume in which she was speaking.

You felt drowsy. You felt empty. You couldn't shake the silence. That was it, you gave in, you quit. You toppled over, closing your eyes and losing consciousness.

"(Y/n)!!"

You finally heard all the voices of your friends shriek, right before you fell into darkness.
— —

"Wake up, (Y/n), you are need of."

You groaned before sitting up, holding your head and rubbing the back of your neck. You slowly opened your eyes to reveal a pitch black space surrounding you. You stood, knees wavering as a slight breeze blew your hair at random.

"Do you see it? It is beautiful, is it not?"

Suddenly, you were laying in a seemingly endless field of grass, staring up at an empty, blue sky. All the color, it didn't seem real to you. Though, you also felt as if you had seen the scene somewhere before.

You forced yourself to sit up once again, but felt a heavy weight on your body, as if the scene was trying to force you down. You looked forward, and your eyes widened, as you store into the eyes of your younger self. Except, it didn't feel right...

"This, is you, when you were young, and innocent."

The young figure in front of you then deformed itself into the age you were currently. It's empty stare gazed into your eyes, making you feel uneasy. Yet, the scene around you wouldn't allow you to turn away.

"This is you, when you had hope. When you had a light. But now..."

The doppelgänger then churned into something pitiful. Still you, but you looked so miserable. It was as if... you were asking for death. It wreathed on the ground, shaking and looking up at your trembling form with sorrowful eyes.

"Please kill me."
"Please kill me."
"Please kill me."

That was all it repeated, on a never-ending cycle of horror and torture. You shook your head viciously, tears trickling down your cheeks. You wanted to look away, but you couldn't. The scene wouldn't allow it.

It curled up into a ball and began tugging at it's hair, muttering the same phrase. But now... it slowed.

"Please kill me."
"Please. Kill me."
"Please... Kill... Me."

You violently shook your head. You couldn't force yourself to open your mouth, so your cupped your hands and cried. The sight was awful, and it tore you down. You never had seen such a horrific image of yourself. And yet, you believed it.

The figure stood, blood seeping from wounds all along it's body. You were disgusted. The red liquid dripped slowly, staining each snd every blade of grass beneath your feet.

It held out a quaking hand. "P...Please." It quivered, looking at you through it's blood-stained face. It's eyes were wide with hopelessness and loss. It looked like pure insanity and dread.

"KILL ME."

It shot itself at you, knocking you to the floor.

You screamed, jolting upward, looking around with sweat beading down your face. Your lungs hurt to inhale and exhale. You had never felt such an intense weight on your chest. Your heart thumped and there was a high-pitched frequency ringing in your ears.

"D-Don't! D-Don't kill me! P-Please!!" You shouted, gripping your head in fear.

You then realized it, that you were back in the desert. You glanced around, watching your friends try and speak to you. Their voices and faces were a blur, but you could just barely decipher who from who.

"(Y/n), calm down. What happened?" Tsubaki.

"We aren't going to kill you. Are you alright? You suddenly fainted!" Maka.

"Give her some space! She's probably not feeling well!" Liz.

"That's obvious, Liz! Patty, stop shaking her!" Soul.

"G-Guys... Y-You're not helping." Crona.

You slowly felt yourself coming back to reality. Your vision cleared and the voices suddenly needed no effort in understanding. It was your friends, for sure. No mysterious woman, no horrific copy of yourself. Just your friends.

"Everyone." You said, quietly. You didn't expect to get anyone's attention, but the opposite happened. Everyone looked towards you, shutting their mouths. "I'm fine, okay? I just... had a bit of a mental shock, is all."

"Mental shock? (Y/n), you've been passed out for two hours!" Maka explained, tightly gripping your shoulders. "This is more than a mental shock!"

"So... we've been in the same stop for two hours?" Is all you could manage to ask.

"No. BlackStar carried you the last few miles. We're almost to Reaper's Forest." Kid admitted, pointing forwards to show a forest-like area just a few acres away.

"And we believe that's where Jennicah is. Because Dr. Stein contacted us, and her signal suddenly stopped dead in the center of it. She hasn't moved since." Maka added, pulling you to your feet.

You looked to the forest. "I sure hope so, Maka... I really do."

Hey-Hey! Look who got a chapter done! This girl! Yeah! I decided that I'm going to work harder into getting these done for y'all, sense you've been so kind and patient. So... what'll happen? Is Jennicah really there?

Oof, you'll have to find out later. Biee!