chapter two

sapphire's pov

I pushed the door open quietly and snuck up the stairs to my room, knowing my mother would be sleeping as she had been doing very late shifts lately.

As soon as i shut my bedroom door behind me, i relaxed my tensed shoulders, breathing out as i did so. I crashed onto my bed, feeling the mattress sink under my heavy chest, tasting the crisp material, as i shoved my face into the pillow. I felt my eyelids begin to droop, and my body began to fade away behind me. Before i was completely engulfed in darkness, i pushed myself towards the light switch, effortfully flicked it and landed back into my sleepy trance.

*

I woke up to a quiet tune drifting through my room, softly tapping a gong in my head, to wake me up. Stretching my mouth to its full potential, as i stretched, i pushed the soft covers off of my pale legs exposing them to the sharp cold that was now biting away at the small hairs which covered my skin.

I really need to shave.

Finding a large red jumper, I slid into it before tugging on a pair of skinny jeans that got caught on my knickers several times.

Sliding on socks and shoes, i swung my pre-prepared backpack over my shoulder and marched out of the small room.

Effortlessly tugging a hairbrush through my hair, which consisted of several knots, i left the bathroom, grabbed an apple and left the house, not bothering to say goodbye to my mother, knowing the likelihood of her even being home was small.

As soon as the first leg stepped onto the hard gravel of the outside, i regretted not wearing a t-shirt underneath the large jumper.

I smelt the fresh morning air, a crisp breeze tinted with the smell of freshly cut grass. I felt my warm cheeks slowly grow colder, as the temperature washed me over.

My hand lurched into the front pocket of my backpack. Squirming my finger past the endless gum wrappers, keys, pens that had gone astray and scraps of paper, i finally caught my pinky on the tangled wire of my earplugs.

Digging my nails into the knots i hopelessly tried to untangle the mess in my hands. I soon gave up and just plugged one earpiece into my ear. Carefully sliding the wire into my phone i selected a Troye Sivan album before sliding my phone into my jeans pocket and marching down the empty road, my hips unintentionally swaying to the beat ever so slightly.

I stopped at the bus stop, standing at the edge, since i recognised some kids to be from my school. They were a small group of boys, who didn't seem to be especially 'popular' but they weren't a part of the rejects either.

After a small period of me shuffling around on my feet pretending there was something for me to read on social media, to avoid the awkward stares i was receiving, the small yellow bus arrived halting just in front of us.

The bus driver was a middle aged man who obviously had had slightly too many meals in his lifetime, his eyes had dark shadows hanging from his eyelids. The edges of his mouth were tugged downwards, his expression was distant, as if he had no interest or will to be in this world. His glasses were carelessly thrown onto his long and bulky nose, one could see as they were beginning to slip down.

I turned to look down the everlasting aisle, from which many seats lead, most of them empty. I wandered halfway down the bus before sitting down and sliding up to the window, as far away from the few kids on the bus as i could. I felt the hard spiky material from the seats, poke through my jumper. I shuffled uncomfortably before settling down and watching all the small and identical houses blur through the window.