chapter seven

sapphire's pov

The cold autumn air gnawed at my rosy cheeks, wriggling through the thick material of my jumper and nipping at my chest.

I sped up my pace slightly, feeling the warmth gradually spread throughout my body, like a scented candle in a cosy room.

The music from my earplugs twisted into my head bombarding my thoughts with song lyrics. I watched a small bird flutter on the thin branch of a dying tree and jerk its head around, looking for something. Or someone.

The little birds head almost sunk slightly, and its little eyes drooped, almost like a pout.

What are you talking about, its a fucking bird.

It watched the grey clouds, quietly awaiting some sign of another feathered creature. But no-one came. It sat alone on the branch, its beak facing the grass. I imagined a tear rolling down its small feathered head.

Mother.

I briskly moved on, leaving the bird behind me and focusing on the bus stop that was just entering my view.
I noticed a pair of girls chattering like farmyard hens as they took turns in displaying each others phone screens.

I silently rooted myself to the side of them, watching them intently trying to understand what was going on inside their heads.

However it was like a guarded barrier that wouldn't let any foreigners through. An invisible shield, blocking me from reading them. No facial expressions that i was able to recognise.

How bizarre.

Soon the small yellow bus came once again rattling down the cracked road, planting itself next to the small group of students that had now gathered behind me, without me noticing.

-
-

The chair sunk again, as someone flung themselves into the seat next to mine. Predicting it was Ethan, i turned my head smiling to look into his shiny brown eyes.
'Hey you,' he said goofily.
'Helloooo,' i grinned.
'How is the princess doing today?' He spoke with a posh english accent. Or tried to.
'I am doing just fine, many thanks sir,' i imitated his accent.

He chuckled at my terrible attempt.

I turned away to look out of the dirty window again. I heard him shuffle behind me when he suddenly brought forward a pair of earplugs, offering me one.

I smiled and picked it up delicately between my index finger and my thumb, as if it was a minuscule diamond, that had to be handled with uttermost care.

'We're listening to my music today,' he said cheekily.

I raised my left eyebrow suspiciously, hesitating to place the earbud into my ear. Once it was firmly hooked onto my ear, an extremely loud song blurted into my head.

It took me several seconds to recognise the song.

I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me.

Yes Ethan was playing the Shrek soundtrack at maximum volume.

I looked over at him, to see him screaming the words, clutching his chest, imitating an overdramatic pop star. I felt my face heat up as people began to look over at our seats, whispering and giggling about the performance Ethan was giving.

I slowly sunk into my chair, feeling my head bury itself into my shoulders, the soft material tickling my face.

Once the song was finished and my torturous state gone, Ethan stood up and bowed whilst everyone else clapped and cheered.

Then he slammed back into his chair, turning to me, panting like a new born puppy.
He watched me expectantly.

I just rolled my eyes playfully and moved my eyes to the rough chair in front of me.

'Didn't you like it?' He stuck his bottom lip out and made his eyes wide.

'You're attempt at being cute is terrible,' i chuckled.

He lowered his eyes and looked away, crossing his muscular arms over his chest.

'You hurt my feewings..' he grumbled.

I grabbed his bicep and pulled him to look at me.

Jesus his arms must be made of fucking rock or some shit.

Our faces only inches apart, i whispered,

'I'm sowy.'

His breath hitched and he gulped subtlety as his eyes switched from my eyes to my lips.

My discomfort caused me to pull away abruptly, I was unsure why. But I felt suddenly so frightened, i couldn't help but but break it off..

I saw a small light go out in his eyes and he began to shuffle slightly, hiding his embarrassment.

He was going to kiss me.

Luckily the bus halted, meaning we had arrived at the hell hole that called itself school.