chapter sixteen

sapphires pov

The breeze was nibbling at my exposed arms as my eyes followed a small swarm of starlings which were gathered around the old, battered fountain, pecking at the cracked concrete slates. The ancient water feature was blanketed in emerald green moss, the streaks of when the water once flowed were evident, a symbol of death leaving marks after itself.

My mind went wild, as i watched the trees sway as a gust of wind tickled the back of my neck. Splinters of sunlight were trickling through the shadows, the vines twisting up the trees almost purposefully avoiding the warmth.

'Boo!'

My whole body lurched forwards as i spun to look into two green spotted marbles that i only then realised how much i had missed. I pushed myself forward into his warm embrace, inhaling his sunny smell.

'I missed you,' he murmured into our pressed together bodies his hands gripping onto my shivering arms.

I could feel his heart beating against my flushed cheeks as the soft material of his shirt fondled my nose.
Tears began to seep from my glossy eyes and i managed to clasp myself even closer to him.

'Hey hey hey,' he rubbed my back soothingly placing his chin gently on the top of my hair. He slid his long fingers down my body to my trembling hands. He laced them together, pulling me down to the brim of the fountain. Using his other hand to wipe away the hot tears still rolling down my face with the top of his rough thumb.

'Wanna talk?' The shadow of a smile was lying on his lips as he watched me, his eyes sparkling with affection.
I nodded slowly, wiping the left over tears on the bottom of my shirt.

'My dad came back after four years and caught my mum..' my voice became scarce, trembling as the volume dropped. 'She hit Jasper.'
I gulped and looked down at my leggings, noticing the dust on them from wearing them three days straight.

'They took him away,'

I saw the frost, that blanketed the rich green grass, slowly melt away, dripping from the tips of the stems.
A large weight slung itself over my shoulder, instantly beginning to warm my upper back, as rough fingers gently stroked my face.
He pulled me closer into him, leaving soft kisses on my frozen head, as i clenched my fists in anguish.

We sat their for an uncounted amount of time before he slowly got up and we hand in hand walked home together.

-
-

I woke up from the sound of a loud crash downstairs and a yelp after that.
I pushed myself out of the sweet, warm duvet and scrambled down the wooden stairs and into the kitchen.

A mix was splattered across the marble tiles, the bowl was laid upside down next to it. A chimpanzee was groaning around clutching his head underneath an opened cupboard door. When the chimpanzee saw my baffled state, his expression changed from pain, to happiness, to guilt. He got up from his laying position on the floor and stood straight in front of me.

'I can explain,' he lifted his hands as a defensive gesture to my raised eyebrow.
'I just wanted to make you pancakes but this cupboard opened on its own and it hit me in the head and i fell and the bowl of mix fell too and it all tipped out and-'

I was chuckling at the crazy mess as he rambled on about pancakes and blueberries.
'Just get cleared up, we'll go to IHOP,' i shook my head playfully and ran back up the stairs into the bedroom.