chapter eleven

sapphire's pov

We just caught the end of the sunset. I found myself on the top of a cliff looking over the lit up town, the shadows hanging from the small houses. The sky exploding in fire, beating onto my cold flushed cheeks. I felt the heat rise to my face and i turned to Ethan.

ethan's pov

Her rosy face shone in the growing darkness. My black sweater was too big on her, she looked lost in it as it hung heavily from her frail arms. Her blonde hair was lying messily around her. She was smiling broadly, making her eyes disappear and her button nose rise. I felt a sudden warmth in my cold chest as the butterflies beat their wings faster whilst i was looking at her happily. She looked back at the burning sky and i noticed her clench her fists. I slipped my large hand into her small one, lacing our fingers together earning a small grin from her.

'You're really beautiful you know?' I said confidently.

Her eyes grew three times in size as she stared at me incredulously, before staring at her crossed legs, her cheeks exploding with red pigment.

I leaned forward, nuzzling my nose into her cheek and she turned to look at me, smiling lightly, her eyes sparkling like the most precious diamonds. She pressed herself against my racing heart, gently putting her lips on mine. I kissed her back and softly slid my tongue onto hers. They danced together passionately, the warm breeze fiddling with our hair, holding onto each other lightly. She pulled away after a while, smiling broadly. Then she lay her head onto my lap, snuggling into the soft material of my tracksuits. I watched the last wisps of sunlight disappear under the horizon as the lights of the miniature buildings slowly went out and the stars rose to the sky.

I watched the constellations, trying to make out the different pictures. I recognised Orion's Belt first and then Taurus the Bull. However there was one i had never seen before directly above our fragile, intertwined bodies. It consisted of 6 lines and looked like the Chinese symbol for something. Confused i rubbed my eyes and looked back up at the charcoal skies. It was gone. Before i was properly able to investigate i heard a quiet rumble coming from saf and when looking down at her, i noticed her breathing had slowed down and she had begun to snore lightly.

I sighed, lifting her up delicately and heading to my car.