The Pine Sisters

4 Years Ago

Grays P.O.V

  Blood covered Mary's hair like a crown. We kept running, not even daring to look back. The sound of metal from the monster behind us destroyed the peaceful feel of the forest. The birds were silent and the trees shivered as the beast ran closer to us. Me and Mary ran through the outer forests of Camp Half Blood.  I could feel my heart beating in my chest as I held onto my sisters hand. The grinding of iron made Mary begin to cry.  Truthfully I wanted to join her.  "Nearly there," I shouted as I could see the light trace of torches indicating the entrance. Suddenly Marys hand dropped out of hers. I turned around to see her on the forest floor. She had an arrow sticking out of her lower back. Silencing a sob, I began yelling as loud as I could.  I picked Mary up, she was completely unconscious. Using my last bit of energy I dashed over and crossed the camp line.  We where safe, for now.

     After the medics where done healing some of my cuts they finally let me visit my sister after me nagging them about it. I entered the small sectioned off room. Lee, one of the medics, told me that she had been healed but still needed time to rest before she could leave. I slowly entered the room, making sure not to wake her. To my surprise she was awake and looking out of the small window that showed the stunning view of the fields. "This is my favorite time of year," she whispered without even turning to look at me. I came and sat on the bed, taking notice of the new scar that ran across her forehead.

"I'm so sorry." Tears rolled down my cheeks. This was all my fault, I should have never left the camp. Especially with Mary.

"It's not your fault. I wanted to help find him as well," Mary said softly as she looked at my with her big brown eyes. She gave me a light smile.  I gave her a small smile back and squeezed her hand. "Mary I should have been more mature-," I was cut off by the door opening. Lee stood awkwardly at the door.

"Ummmm," he began nervously putting his hands in his pockets," Grey your wanted in the big house." Mary looked at me with worry. I was honestly not surprised, I broke some major rules. Chiron most likely wanted a few words with her. "I'll come back later, okay Mary." She nodded and slowly lowered herself back onto the bed. 

     Quite honestly I have never seen Mr.D be so mad before, not even when a kid turned his right arm into a giant cactus. We where sitting outside on the patio and Chiron was happily sipping lemonade as I was being chewed out. "After all these years, why did you do something so stupid! Honestly, demigods-," Mr.D continued giving me a dirty look. "Dionysus, let the girl talk," Chiron commanded. Mr.D muttered some not so friendly phrases in Latin, but all in all he stopped talking. "I was looking for The Door," I told them honestly. "Before he left camp he gave me his phone number just in case I needed to get to him. I was worried, so I dragged Mary to call him. Reception doesn't work in Camp so we had to go a little farther." Chiron gave me a sympathetic look. 

"I know you worry about him, we all do. Using a phone is very dangerous and bringing Mary as well," he shook his head. "You could have died, you know about the influx of monsters lately."

I nodded. "I hope you learn from this mistake Grey, as leader of your cabin this sets a horrible example. You will be punished, now go and see Mary send her my love." Chiron began to play Uno with Mr.D.

"I will thank you."

A bubbling excitement filled the camp a few days later. About a month ago a group of halfbloods went on a quest to find a brother and sister. They where returning today at the summer campfire. The lunch hall buzzed with gossip about who they might be. We often get new campers, but a quest to fetch them? They must be very special. My table, the Apollo kids, decided that they must have something to do with the prophecy. Lee was chatting with me about how Mary would be good to leave the hospital tonight. "But," he said sternly as he ate ramen, "she will have to be in a wheelchair for a few days." Guilt flooded me, if anyone was to get hurt it should have been me. Lee continued babbling on about medicine. Even though we are both Apollo's children we both have very different interests. He was into healing and I was into Art. I mean you can only listen about cough syrup for a certain amount of time. I was suddenly beginning to miss Mary. My cabin stood up and started their way to Archery. This day couldn't go slower.

The fire burned a light pink. The murmur of laughter and jokes filled the hot summer air. Me and Mary tried to get as far away from the fire as possible, not only was it hot, but the Stoll brothers put off stink bomb near the center. Mary sat happily watching everyone, a few people in our cabin came up and asked her how she was feeling. As most of the Apollo kids are medics they already knew of her situation and would constantly look over to make sure she was fine. "I can't wait to see Annabeth," Mary hummed in rhythm to the campfire song. I for one was not looking forward to facing Annabeth. We are both good friends and all but she is going to kill me when she finds out about what I did. I could hear it now, Oh how stupid are you? That sounds like something Percy would do! You could have both died! To be honest I deserved every bit of criticism I have coming my way. Mary swayed to the music, humming all of the tunes. A girl and a boy walked up to us cautiously. Then the older girl opened her mouth to speak, her brown eyes sparkled in the campfire light. It made her look frightened. Her hand was wrapped protectively around a smaller boy. They must be related. "Are you, by any chance, Grey?" The girl asked softly. I gave the worried girl a grin. "Yes, I am Grey Pine and this is my sister Mary." Mary gave a wave and started nibbling on a fresh piece of watermelon. "Annabeth sent me to stay by you as she talked to Chiron for a minute. I hope that's fine by you," she replied still not letting go of her brother. She began talking to him in what sounded like Italian. "My name is Bianca. Bianca Di Angelo and this is my brother Nico." Mary put down her melon and smiled, "In Greek Angelo means messenger, What a beautiful last name."

  Bianca let go of Nico as we sat of some logs placed outside of the fire pit. The others campers didn't notice the new demigods leaving Bianca to talk to Mary. In a way Bianca reminded me of how I treated Mary. You could just tell from watching them the care that radiated off her. Nico sat next to me glancing nervously at his sister every few minutes. "So do you like it here," I asked trying to spark conversation. "It's nice," he murmured turning to his sister. Nico was wearing a giant coat even despite it being burning hot and near a fire. On further inspection of this coat I noticed something poking out of his pockets. "Are those Mythomagic cards?" I asked turning Nico's face a dark pink. "N-no," Nico said stuttering as he put his hands in his pockets to hide the obvious cards. "That's a shame," I chuckled, "I simply love mythomagic." A rare smile spread across Nico's face. "Wow, really?" He excitedly took the cards out of his pocket and started showing them to me. "Wait, you have Gaea, she's super rare!" Nico smugly looked at the card that displayed an angry looking lady with flowers in her hair. "She's one of my favorite cards." Me and Nico continued talking about the card game and soon later played the game. Lets just say Nico obliterated me at Mythomagic.