Karen

My wary eyelids part, allowing the blue moonlight to flood in, I bring my hand up and push the hair from my face as I turn to Jack's side of the bed. He's not there. I sigh; he must have gone downstairs for something. A delicious smile spreads across my face as I recall our earlier session. For a man his age, he goes at it with the vigor of a twenty year old.

Twenty to me feels like a lifetime ago, even though it's only been eighteen years. I guess for my daughter, that was a lifetime. I wonder how Alice is doing. She's always been the type to put up a strong front when she's hurting, but I've always been able to see through it. She seems...happy, but at the same time she seems like something's missing from her life. She's nearly at the age I was when I had her and what I was missing back then, was love. She has Brice and they're amazing with each other so I doubt it's that. It's probably just my mom instincts making me over analyze things. I push my thoughts aside and sigh again.

Jack enters my head now, his eye, he didn't say how he got it but I'm pretty sure it wasn't some accident. I know what a black eye from a punch in the face looks like.

It's not the first time either. I don't know what's going on but I'm worried. I can't lose Jack, not like I lost...Alice's dad. I care so much about him, more than he'll ever know. I turn to my side and close my eyes. Tomorrow a lot of things will change, I can feel it.