Jack

I pull up on the side of the street and get out of my car. Downtown is busy and the night is dark but I pay no mind. Here it is, Marquis boxing gym. I have to put in the extra work at this place, I need to sharpen up a little before Wednesday. The battle is going to heavily rely on my technique against his brute force.

   I grab my bag and go inside. The place is just what I thought it would be, work oriented, professional and mean looking. Straight rights, left hooks, grunts and heavy breathing is everywhere. I head to the change room to get myself ready. This place makes me excited to test my metal. The guys here are all straight boxers without any other type of training, so it should be difficult for me to handle but also really helpful. As I lace up my shoes, my phone starts to ring, its Alice, which is strange, why would she call me?

  “Hello?”

“Hello, jack, this is Alice, I need you to come get me at Pulitzer bar in down town… its important…”

She hangs up, Pulitzer bar is right down the street from me, though I'm really confused, why did she jist hang up so abruptly? something doesn’t seem right. I take up my bag and hurry out the gym, I throw it back In the car then race down the street to Pulitzer. In no time I'm at the front of the place and start for the door. I walk in scan the place for her, But she's nowhere in sight. The next logical move is to ask someone so I to the bar, “Excuse me sir, was there a short, black haired girl here with a Guy maybe earlier?”

“Yea man, they broke out in some kinda fight and the bouncer threw the both of em' out, like just a few minutes ago, they may be in the back or something.”

I waste no time by walking through the door toward the parking lot… that’s where things start to get ugly. As I turn the corner I come upon Brice pushing something in to the back seat of his Honda. It’s not something, its someone…its Alice.

 I can't help it, I react without thinking.

“Get the fuck off her!”

I grab him around his neck from the back and throw him to the ground.

“Alice, are you okay?”

She turns to me with tears in her eyes, it doesn't seem like she can speak.

“Jack!”

“Get your fucking hands off my girl.”

I turn to him, my heart is thundering. If he hurt her I will destroy him.

“Alice, what did he do to you?”

She’s crying too much to answer me, I feel his hand on my shoulder,

“Didn’t I tell you, get your fucking hands off my girl?”

He swings at me, catching me straight across the cheek, that was the worst thing he could’ve done.