Alice

I stick the broccoli with my fork and bring it to my mouth, I pause for a second to sniff it, broccoli’s not that bad once you get used to it. I put it in my mouth and chew. I can live with this, healthy eating…

I’m lying to myself.

Id really rather have a cheeseburger and fries for breakfast, atleast that won't taste like cardboard or smell like old people. The thought makes me chuckle. I’m 5’2 yet one hundred and twenty five pounds, in other words, I’m a bit chubby.

I stare over at my long lean mom, as she digs in to her broccoli and chicken breast. Breakfasts with her are always fun, I slept like a baby last night because yesterday Laura’s visit really tired me out even though it was fun. I continue to study my mom as she eats.

    I’ve always found her more beautiful than me. She’s tall, five foot nine I believe, athletic for her age, she’s always been athletic in fact. Her proportions are so perfect. Meanwhile I’m over here looking like a potato, don’t get me wrong, I'm good looking myself but still. It always amazes me that I came from that beautiful blonde haired goddess. The one thing I took from her were my deep green eyes that so many people compliment me on though. Everything else I got from the dad I barely remember. In a lot of ways I guess since he couldn’t keep his own body on earth, maybe he passed it to me.

  “So mom, tonight is check in, do you have everything ready?
“Yea, Everything’s okay and packed up, you’re coming with Jack to drop me off tonight right?”
“Yup, speaking of Jack, where is he, I haven’t seen him since yesterday around when Laura came, is he even home right now?”
Her face gave a strange look for a few seconds before she answered, “Well he’s busy with this, client... since yesterday he’s been working hard on securing them and some other stuff in the company, he came back late last night but then left early this morning…”

Something felt weird, mom doesn’t seem herself this morning, but I brushed it off. She’s probably just stressed about the fact that she’s leaving for china soon. I sigh as I think about her going so soon, but I’ll live, I’m sure there’s a lot I’ll keep myself Occupied with here.