Alice

The music blares from the speakers as I search through the fridge for Jam,

“Here it is,”

I pull it out and add a few swipes on to my peanut butter sandwich. This is gonna be good. This is the first time I’ve been completely alone in this huge place. The guards are outside but they don’t really count as company. They’re pretty much invisible anyway.

  Nirvana keeps me company, I sing along and try to keep my mind off everything. Brice is going to get what’s coming to him. This time is just to try my best to unwind. Its about twelve pm but I slept so much these past days that sleep isn’t really a thing I have much left of in me.

   I always loved older music, from the nineties mostly, some eighties stuff but not much. Dawn of the century tunes just found a home in me, or rather I found one in them.

Something startles me as the song stops. I hear my phone start to ring, I look at it and its Jack, maybe he’s almost home.

“Hello?”

“Is this Alice chelsea?”

“Um.. yea, Jack?”

“No this is Elias, Jack’s coach.”

“Elias? Jack’s coach? What are you talking about?”

“ It doesn’t matter, I need you to open the gate and doors now its an emergency…”

“I…I’m not sure I can do that, how do I know this isn’t some kind of trick?

“A…Ali…ce its me, J…Jack…o…pen” it really is him, something’s wrong, he sounds hurt. I run upstairs to the monitor room and look outside, the guards aren’t there, none of them are.

What if this is some kind of hold up, what if they hurt jack and now they want to get in the house. I see a car pull up at the gates on the monitors, usually there would be someone up in this room to open the gate but everyone seems to be gone. I look over on the desk, and there’s a hand gun there.

I’ve been in this room before and I knew it was here. I grab it, push the button to open the gates and head downstairs. The car pulls up in front of the house. Even though things turned out how they did with Brice, being with him wasn’t all bad. He used to take me to his dad’s firing range and Taught me how to use guns. I unlock the door, switch off the lights and run behind one of the stone pillars by the staircase and I wait. My hands are shaking.

The double door handles turn and click then come open, “why is it so dark in here one of them says,” its three men, and old looking one in front and one with his arm around another one for support. Its Jack, the guy is holding up jack, he looks badly beaten. I need to do something. I come out and shout “Put your hands up, I have a gun pointed at you.” They turn to me in shock. “Wait, Alice, its not what it looks like!”