Old Men Talk Wise

***Frank's POV***

"What do you mean she is hurt?" I growled into the phone. The police sighed for the billionth time.

"She. Got. In. A. Car. Crash. Got it?" He said sarcastically. I hung up the phone. Gerard's eyes clung to my soul begging for an answer.

"Oh, get out of my face." I rolled my eyes at him which made him more curious.

"Will she be okay?" He asked.

"I don't know. The cop was an asshole." I answered while heading into the other room. I needed to talk to Devon right now, but guess what, she was fucking unconscious. I should have brought her on tour with us, or better yet, stayed with her. I knew it would be leaving my band, but it was my love. I felt like shit leaving her in the hospital alone. I needed to go see her pronto.

"Gerard we are heading to New Jersey right now." I said as he entered the room.

"Ha, fuck no. This is the beginning of the tour and sorry to burst your bubble, but Devon needs to wait. We need you out there. End of story." He said sternly.

"What if it was Chris!?" I was screaming now. I needed to make sure she wasn't dying. He flinched at my comment.

"It isn't Chris though." He avoided the question. Fuck him.

"Don't tell me what to do Gerard! I need to see her!" He stared right through me.

"You aren't leaving and if you, you are out of the band." He didn't look straight into my eyes. I avoided his eyes too as I let a tear stream down my face. He wasn't fucking serious. He walked off leaving me in the dust. I fell to my knees. What was his problem? Oh now I remember, he didn't care about anything except this band. I loved performing for the fans and making new music, but family always comes first. Devon was family to me. I was going to get off this bus at the next stop. If I got kicked out of the band, fair enough. Devon was worth it. I sat on the couch and drifted off while waiting for the bus to stop.

*************************************************************************************

The bus stopped two hours after I ‘drifted off.’ By drifting off, I meant laying on the couch worrying about Devon. Gerard wouldn’t come back into the living area. I wouldn’t go back into the commons. If the bus was parked I could easily run off, but I didn’t want Gerard to see me through the window. He probably had Mikey surveying the area as well. I rolled my neck and got up. I needed to go get my stuff, but with Gerard sitting on my stuff probably, this wouldn’t be easy. Maybe I could pretend to just go and get money and then run away. What was I saying, that wouldn’t work. I went into the back and thought of different ideas. Maybe I could grab my money and head home. I only had like seven shirts and six pairs of pants. I could buy some more when I got home. I went into my bag and grabbed my wallet. I waved it in the air so Gerard could see it.

“Where are you going?”

“To go get food or some shit. Can soup is great until you have it every night.” I rolled my eyes.

“Then you should let me come. I know what you mean.” He stood up. I started to laugh and flicked him off.

“You can suck my dick first. I’m not five, I can go by myself.” I strutted off not ready to be scolded. I headed out the bus and strolled to the edge of the sidewalk. I needed to act normal until that bus was out of view. I walked across the street and into the bagel shop. I was actually starving so a bagel and coffee would help me a bit. I bought both those things. I sat across from an old man considering it was the only seat open.

“Why do you looked so stressed?” I froze at the question. I turned to the old man who had a worried face.

“Friend troubles.” I decided to tell the truth.

“Oh, what happened if you don’t mind me asking.”

“I want to go see my girlfriend in the hospital, but my band wants me to say. They don’t understand.” I growled and sighed.

“Maybe they do understand. If one of their girlfriends got sick would you let them go?” He asked me.

“Of course.”

“Truthfully? This band means a lot to you, trust me my grandchild talks about you all the time.” I stared at not really considering the fact that he knew who I was. It happened every once and a while. I thought about his question. Of course I would let them go. Wouldn’t I? I realized that I wouldn’t. I needed them just as much as they needed me. I sighed.

“I wouldn’t let them go.” I looked down.

“Just wait. Call your girlfriend, but don’t leave okay? Thank you for the talk Frank Iero.” He smiled at me. I smiled back at him.

“Wait!” I said before he could leave. He turned around. I grabbed my bracelet and signed it.

“Give this to your granddaughter or grandson. They deserve it.” I handed him the bracelet. He shook my hand and left. I headed back to the bus.

“So you didn’t run off.” Gerard said as I entered. I nodded.

“No Gerard. You guys need me,” I smiled at him, “and I’m sorry for flipping you off.” He smiled this time.

“It’s fine. We all get angry, trust me.” He laughed. I laughed too. Everything was going back to normal. I decided to call the hospital once again.

“Hello, I’m calling to check on Devon Wheeler.” I said as soon as someone picked up.

“Oh, um, I’ll be right back.” I sighed realizing it was the same nurse as last time. Just peachy. She clicked her heels as she walked and it echoed into the phone. I waited.

“Frank.” Perry’s voice met my ear. She sounded stuffy.

“Pear?” I asked.

“Yes Frankie. We have some news.” She was sniffling.

“Spill it.”

“Devon lost a lot of fucking blood. Frank, Devon is dying.”