[3]: Enchanting Voice

"Because this is your last project before semester examinations, you will be allowed to pick your own partners. But," Mrs. Bailey's index finger snapped up strictly, "remember only groups of two will be allowed." 

A chorus of relieved sighs and soft cheers escaped the mouths of Alyx's classmates.

The chemistry teacher looked with concern at the front where the two new students sat. "For Ashton and Lisa, I'd like to pair them up separately. They're both new so it won't do any good if they're a group."

Her eyes scanned the room full of anxious kids. No one wanted any newbies. "For Lisa, let's..."

A hand shot up in her view and Mrs. Bailey looked down. "Yes, Lisa?"

"If you don't mind, Ma'am, may I pair up with Lucy?"

She clapped her hands in joy and pointed to the farthest corner - where the quietest girls sat together: Lucy and Alyx.

"Lucy, how about you team up with Lisa?"

Lucy turned to Alyx hesitantly. She was a horrible person to pair up with, Lucy knew, and everybody hated working with her - mostly due to her reluctance to speak. Naturally, with Lucy being the only one in the classroom that didn't require spoken language to understand her, the two always worked together.

"Um, Mrs. Bailey," Lucy spoke softly, "Alyx is-"

"She can work with Ashton."

Lucy turned to Alyx who showed no emotion as if saying It's up to you, Lucy.

Lucy sighed and leaned in. "Ashton doesn't seem that bad of a guy. Plus," she gestured to the group of girls in the corner, their faces plastered with makeup throwing out the typical "mean girls" look, "I bet they would swallow my bones whole if I didn't take up on this."

Don't worry about me, Luce.

"All right, Ma'am." She nodded at the teacher who nodded in satisfaction.

"Settled then! Lucy and Lisa. Alyx and Ashton."

~

Ashton spoke into his phone. "Did you set it up? Were you the one who made Mrs. Bailey pair us up?"

He listened to the answer and hung up. "'Use my chance wisely'? Why is this the only mission you decide to help us with?"

"Stop speaking your thoughts out loud. It's going to be the death of us someday."

He turned around to look at his twin sister. "Lee, you'll be going to Lucy's, I suppose?"

"If you've got nothing planned."

"No, but there's something we can do -" His eyes landed on someone behind Lisa.

"Ash?"

"Yeah, hold on," he absentmindedly let out and ran past her, adjusting the school bag on his shoulder, to make a stop in front of Alyx, his back to the road to stop her from escaping this time.

"Alyx."

She looked right through him.

"I'm new and I've got a lot of stuff to catch up with at school. It doesn't help that your making no effort to communicate with me."

No reply.

"I heard you don't talk much and I bet there's many kids in school who've never heard your voice. But, please don't put me on that list."

After waiting a few seconds for her reply, a groan escaped his lips. "How are we supposed to do a project together if you don't talk?"

Nothing.