[8]: The Day I Killed Her

"Hey, Alyx?" Lisa whispered in the middle of the night.

When Alyx neither opened her eyes nor moved, Lisa said what she had to anyway. "I'm going out to get some water."

She moved out of the blanket and went to the foot of the bed where her bag was. If Alyx was awake and pretending to sleep, she wouldn't be able to see what Lisa was doing. She opened her bag and took out a small metal cube and a small earplug. She craftily hid the earpiece in her pocket and placed the metal cube at the edge of the bed. As soon as she pressed an indistinguishable button, the metal lit up into a light blue color and died out.

With the protection shield activated, she headed out and closed the door, carrying a file in her hand in such a way that it was blocked from Alyx's view. If the shield sensed Deimon lifeforms within range, she would be notified immediately through the earpiece.

Alyx lifted her head up. Just like Lisa had suspected, she had been faking it. Too many odd things happened today. For one, she had taken an extremely quick shower so Zane could go back to work early. Her speed must have surprised him because she realized her phone wasn't exactly how she had left it: why had he snooped around her phone for?

Then, she saw Zane's car parked in the distance. She knew it was his because it was something she saw everyday: if it were someone else, they would have been fooled. Then, when he finally did drive off, some other figure had gotten out and run in the opposite direction.

A little later, Lisa comes in knocking with a bag of equipment.

She knew something was going on, she was sure of it.

But maybe if Zane's involved, he'd tell me if it was anything important. I trust him, she said that mostly to herself - as if reminding herself of the safe haven Zane's kept her within for the past four years.

So, with a peaceful heart, she tried to go back to sleep. 

~

Once the earpiece was secured in place, Lisa stretched. I almost fell asleep back there!

She went to the kitchen and got herself a glass of water as promised. Sitting down at the dinner table, she opened the file and read its contents that was written in her neat handwriting, getting a sneak peek at Alyx's life.

Adopted by Karen and Brian Collins at the age of two months, Alyx was given the birthday of June 11. She had a sister named Elena who was six years older.

She grew up normally, with an average childhood. Soon, Brian Collins started drinking and neighbors could hear the couple arguing a lot. The family started going into debt and Elena was forced to drop out of school to start a part time job. Her mother became sickly.

Elena suffered a lot as she became deprived of friends and the joys of life. Some had seen the sisters together and knew that amidst all that trouble, the two only had each other.

Four years ago, neighbors could hear loud screaming during the blackout. During the fight, Alyx had found out she was an adopted child and her foster mother had turned up dead. No signs of Elena and Brian led to the theory that they ran away, whether together or not, alive or not, both were uncertain.

But the blame of the havoc was pointed at Alyx, the only surviving member of the family.

Soon, villagers became angry and started hurling threats at her, accusing her of murder and asking her to repay debts. She suffered great deal of bullying at school and turned up many days injured. The family doctor had even refused to treat 'such a sinful child.'