[14]: Locked Away in the Heart

Zane's heart twisted and stomach churned when he saw the sight of Lucy chained to the chair he used to sit on while eating dinner with Alyx. It seems like only yesterday that he had given her another Ember Stone for her birthday - that was only a few weeks away - and had a cup of coffee with her. Everything was so perfect back then. 

Now, it's all breaking apart. Mark was gone. That was definitely his blood and Zane had filed a case against it. But, he knew his friend was long gone. He was probably killed the day Zane had gotten the envelope from him. It was a tragic end for someone as carefree as him. 

Steve was dead. Ashton had failed to protect him and if he hadn't looked so devastated and broken, Zane would have pulled the life out of him. But, Dylan had specifically mentioned that the situation was a little personal to the twin, that he was affected emotionally. 

Zane wanted to go back in time. This was the first he had felt that need in a long time. Born an orphan and living alone ever since he could remember had made him independent. So, he never regretted having a life as his. With the loss of his family, he was blessed with his elite mind. 

He winced and looked away at Lisa. "Why do you keep cutting her?"

Lisa looked so professional: calm and composed despite the sleepiness drowning her. Her gear was still in place and Zane found her doing house checks every twenty minutes or so. Sometimes Zane wondered who was more fit to be a Hunter. Ashton or Lisa? 

Clearly, Ashton had some emotional problems he was hiding from. 

Lisa opened her mouth and a series of sleepy words escaped. "The Deimon has taken possession of her. Those chains will hold her back but there is the possibility of it getting stronger. Also, Callers haven't been investigated properly so we're not sure, but it may be that a conscious Deimon is constantly sending information to its master." 

Zane took all the information in. 

"But, the host needs to be strong for the Deimon to be able to fully control its body. If I can keep cutting her often, she'll lose enough blood to weaken her body. The Deimon won't be able to reach the Terminal Point and she'll be alive."

He frowned at her. "There's no hope for hosts. Why keep her alive?"

She shrugged. "Lucy is Alyx's best friend and I'd grown to be close to her, too. I can't kill her that heartlessly."

"You Hunters do have hearts."

"Please," Lisa said with a disappointed tone that sent chills down his back. "Not now."

He cleared his throat uncomfortably. "I apologize."

He forced himself to take one glance at Lucy before stepping out of the kitchen. He scowled once more. "Wait. If you've been cutting her so much that she's let out this much blood," Zane gestured to the pool of blood that Lisa had been mopping, "why isn't she dead yet? Do a Deimon's regeneration abilities apply to hosts?"

"As long as the host is under its control."

He turned on his heels and stepped out of the room. 

"Zane."

He halted. The first time Lisa had called him by name rather than "Mr. Officer." But, he didn't face her. 

"Please don't hate Ashton. If what the chief said was true, it's a wonder how he hasn't broken apart yet."

Zane didn't reply. He wanted to ask more about their mother, more about them. He wanted to know why Lisa was acting calm about their mother's murderer when Ashton had almost lost his sanity. He wanted to question her so much but nothing came out.