Chapter Four - "Built For Sin"

Say so long to innocence.

From underneath the evidence,

You taste like Heaven, but God knows your built for sin.

You can scream out loud,

But your panic falls on deaf ears.

This is where you've brought yourself,

And this is what you've always feared.

There's a faceless crowd, with no sympathy.

So you can scream out loud,

But there's no one listening.”

Chapter Four – “Built For Sin”

IMMI

               I groaned and let my face fall onto the table.  What exactly was I supposed to be learning? How to read a map?  Where I was allowed to go?  I didn't even know where I was!

               “Imogen, stop it.  This is for your sake!”  Caroline growled at me.  Why was she teaching me?  Couldn't Emily?  She was a lot nicer than Caroline.  She wouldn't be so irritated or annoying!

               “Why do I need this?  I don't even know where I am on this map!”  I sighed.  All I knew is that I wasn't allowed in almost a third of this city.  How was I meant to know which areas?  I didn't even know the street names.

               “Because it means you'll be safe!”

               “How am I supposed to care about that, if I don't know who I am!”  I shouted.  For the past two days, there's been tension around the house.  I'd had more flashes and a few dreams but nothing had sparked my memory.  Nothing.  I'd been stuck inside looking around the mansion.  It was massive.  Half the rooms were empty or filled with boxes.

               “What do you think we're trying to do!?”  She shouted back exasperated and angry.  Almost the mirror image of how I was feeling.

               “I don't know!  I'm kept in the dark!  All I hear at night is you guys whispering, telling each other that you can't overload me!  What's the harm in that, huh?  I'm sick of not knowing who I am.  I woke up three days ago with nothing!  I have to have strangers telling me who I am!”  Her face looked shocked.  What did she expect me to do?  Be happy?!  Vomit sunshine and rainbows?  “I didn't even know my own Go-”

               “Don't you dare say His name in vain!”  She growled and I narrowed my eyes at her.

               “I didn't even know my own name, until Harmony told me.  How do you think that felt, huh?  How do you think it feels for my back to suddenly burn up?”  I was panting hard by the end of my rant and I found that I'd subconsciously stood up.

               Caroline's eyes narrowed and she stood up too.  “You think this is easy for me?  I owe this to you!  I owe my life to you!  How do you think that makes me feel?  Huh?   That I owe this to someone like you?”

               I didn't care that she owed me.  If she really felt like she owed me, she'd tell me who I was!  “Why do you think I care?  I.  Can't.  Remember.  Huh?  So why feel like you owe me when I can't remember?”

               “Because I have to!”

               “Why!”  She looked at me and opened her mouth before shutting it closed.  That annoyed me even more – she knew but she wouldn't tell me!  “If you're not going to tell me, then screw this.  I'm not going to wait around for my memory to come back.”