Chapter Eight - "Into The Night"

Like a gift from the heavens, it was easy to tell.

It was love from above, that could save me from Hell.

She had fire in her soul it was easy to see,

How the devil himself could be pulled out of me.

There were drums in the air as she started to dance,

Every soul in the room keeping time with their hands.

And we sang…

Ay oh ay oh ay oh ay.

And the voices rang like the angels sing.

We're singing…

Ay oh ay oh ay oh ay.

And we danced on into the night.

Chapter Eight – “Into The Night”

BALT

                Staring at the white palace in front of us, I sighed.  I didn't want to come here.  I didn't want to see them, I didn't want to see her. I could feel myself getting drawn to her.  The more I rejected the idea of being with her, the more my body wanted her, the more my mind was feeling less repulsed by the idea.  To say: “it sucks” was a real understatement.

                I didn't feel good about the contract with the angels.  Somehow, I felt like they'd attempt to find a loop but I suppose that was the way I'd been taught.  Don't trust angels.  The same way they'd been taught not to trust us.

                Nothing was like the books.  Angels were supposed to be hunters of the damned – of us, but so far, none of those angels have attempted to hurt us.  I knew there wouldn't be an attempt now.  Not with Harmony or Gustav, and it seemed they were the ones ruling the roost.

                The only way they'd be able to attack us was if we broke the contract.  We wouldn't though.  The Court were malicious and fierce.  Break a rule, get sent to them.  They were like Hell for demons and Hell was somewhere no-one wanted to go... well, no humans.  We demons could be in Hell safely, humans couldn't.  It was a torture chamber for them.  Some people were given chances to turn into demons, most declined.  We demons wouldn't go through that.  No way.  Wouldn't risk eternal torture.

                “Whose Bernadette?”  I asked Marcus, seeing if he'd give me an answer today.  He hadn't told any of us, no matter how much we'd asked.  He would just walk off with some sad, distant look in his face.  It unsettled me because I'd never seen Marcus like this, ever.  Not since we first met anyway.

                “No-one you need to know about.”  He replied glumly.

                “Saria's not here.”

                “I know.”  I sighed – he didn't get what I meant.

                “Means she won't take the piss.  Means you get the freedom of speech.”  I tried to urge him on.

                “Balthazar, leave it.”  Marcus snapped at me.  I growled at him.  These angels knew yet I couldn't?  He barely knew that Harmony woman, yet she knew!  How was this fair?