Chapter Thirteen - "Next Contestant"

"I'll watch you leave here limping.

I wish you'd do it again.

I'll watch you leave here limping.

There goes the next contestant.

Chapter Thirteen - "Next Contestant"

BALT

               I cursed whoever those demons who'd intruded.  I was so close!  I was a millisecond away from kissing Immi when they entered the house.

               They weren't angels.  I could feel the sin seeping into the wood and bricks.  In my gut, I had a hunch that these were some of Ipos' men.  I was sure he'd sent them.  Couldn't do his own dirty work.  Typical.

               Immi looked panicked, the crashing upstairs was making everything worse.  I looked to the window I'd seen before.  It was small, but big enough for her to fit through.  If I got her out, and got her to run to the car, she should be safe.  That car was tinted and bulletproof.  No-one could get in if she locked the door and no-one would know she was there.

               Looking to her, I saw she was still in my arms.  “Do you trust me?”  I asked her.  She looked at me with confused eyes.

               “What?”  She whispered.

               “Do you trust me?”  I repeated firmly.  She nodded.  My mouth was twitching to turn up and into a smile.  She actually trusted me.  I was sure none of the other angels did.  “Okay, when I push you out of the window, you need to run to the car.  I'll give you the keys.  Lock it when you get in.”

               “Wh-what window?”  I pointed to the one which was right next to the bars.  She froze when she saw them.  Shaking her head, I held her slightly tighter.

               “Come on.”  I guided her to the window, not forcefully though.  I wasn't going to pressure her.  I saw her looking up at the window, with disbelief.

               “I'm not gonna fit through that.  Plus, how are you going to open it?  It looks pretty old... doesn't that mean it won't open?”  I smiled knowingly at her.  One of the good things about being a demon was that you had more strength than a normal human.  That window would open, or it would be smashed.

               “I have my ways.”  Reaching up, I shoved the window but it didn't budge.  Trying again, with a little more strength, it still didn't budge.  This time, I used most of my demon strength and it still didn't budge.  Quickly examining the window, as I was aware the crashes were getting closer, I saw that they'd been sealed shut with some sort of demon-made glue.

               Sighing, I knew I'd have to break the window.  Hopefully, none of the demons upstairs would hear it.  If they heard it, we were probably in a worse position.  Bracing myself, I threw my fist at the window.  As it shattered, I heard Immi gasp.

               “Y-you're hurt.”  She stated.  I was glad she was worried about me; it meant that I meant something to her.

               “I'll be fine.  I've hard worse.”  I told her and cleared the window of all the glass.  There were small shards left.  Hopefully they wouldn't cause Immi too much harm.  Placing my heels back on the ground, I looked over at her and saw her removing her wellies.  I frowned and asked what she was doing.

               “Taking off these boots.  I'll run quicker without them and I can't get out the window with them on.”  She told me.  Smart thinking, although her feet were going to get muddy.  If she slipped over, it wouldn't surprise me.