Chapter Twenty Three - "Savin' Me"

Well I'm terrified of these four walls.

These iron bars can't hold my soul in.

All I need is you.

Come please I'm callin',

And oh I scream for you,

Hurry I'm fallin', I'm fallin'”

Chapter Twenty Three - “Savin' Me”

IMMI

               “You can't do this!”  I screamed at the door, banging on the metal, rusty bars in front of me.  “I won't let you!”  Again, no answer.  The first time I'd screamed out, the men and that women had laughed at me.  Told me there's no way I'd be able to get out.  They were right; whatever they'd used I couldn't break.

               Forcing myself away from the dingy, stained bars, I rested against the wall.  I couldn't believe it!  How had I ended up here?  Oh, that's right, a mix of Saria and my own idiocy.  What was the point in having memories if I was going to die?  Die by the hands of the man who tortured my sisters and attempted to kill Em and Caroline!

               I wondered what they were all doing, what Saria had told them.  I had no idea where she was.  I don't even know how she'd got me to that car!  I don't remember following her, why would I?  I knew she despised me with everything she had.

               The rattling of the door handle brought me out of my thoughts.  My attention was completely focused on whoever was behind that door.  I had no idea when they were going to take my blood and what they'd do with me.  Something told me they weren't going to kill me, no, they had something else in mind.  That was the most frightening part of it all: I had no idea what they were doing.  No-one in Heaven had told us about these demons.  Nothing about them or what they were planning to do.  Did they even know what they were doing?  All we'd been told was to never give our blood.  And now look what I'd done – they'd taken my blood minutes after they'd tied me up to that slab.

               The old healer, Pikos?  Pirak?  Well, whatever her name was, she was here.  Staring at me.  She'd come in several times, stopping for a few seconds every time.  Almost like she was lingering, waiting for me to do something.  What could I do?  I'd tried to get out but I couldn't and the bars seemed the only way out.  “Ipos told you what we do, yes, szuka?”

               I didn't understand what she was calling me but I bet it wasn't something nice.  Her tone told me it definitely wasn't something nice.  Scowling, I said, “No.  Why would he?”

               “Ah.  I tell you, yes?”  A smug smile spread across her face.  She slowly hobbled over to my cage.  Whether she was taunting me or she just couldn't walk any faster, I had no idea.  She was a healer (I could tell by her aura – yes, it was tainted but it was still a healer's aura) so I assumed she would have been able to heal herself.  Gustav had, countless of times; Harmony had told me that a while ago.  So why hadn't she?  Couldn't she make something up to make her appearance less... ghastly?

               As if my silence was an answer she was happy with, she started to speak.  As she got closer, I scrabbled back even further against the broken stone walls.  They hadn't given me any clothes.  Just left me in Balt's clothes...

               Balt... I wondered where he was.  And I wondered what I'd been thinking!  He was a demon!  But much as I wanted to stay away from him, my heart flipped and twisted painfully at the thought.  He hadn't done anything to hurt me and he'd had a lot of chances.  I'd lost my memory and he could have taken advantage of that – an angel, defenceless.  That thug and his friends had taken the chance, so why hadn't he?  He seemed more powerful than them too!