Chapter Ten - "City Lights"

It's 5AM and the streets are dead.
I walk alone, into a quiet home.
Two lost souls, lost in the city of lights.
Lost in the city of lights, lost in the city of lights.
A sound I hear... is someone there?
A shadow moves then disappears.

Two lost souls, lost in the city of lights,
Lost in the city of lights, lost in the city of lights.

Chapter Ten - "City Lights"

IMMI

               Balt completely froze up when I asked him about his problem.  Was I intruding in his personal life?  I mean, he didn't have to tell me, I just thought it was fair for me to ask.  He'd listened to me babble on and sound crazy.  I wanted to help him.  Something in me awakened when I realised that I wanted to help him.  Maybe I was a helper or something in my past life?

               “You don't have to tell me if you don't want to...”  I felt my face heat up in embarrassement.  Why would he tell me?  We didn't know each other.  It was stupid of me to ask.

               “No, sorry.  It's just that er, Marcus and Saria never care for my problems.”  I frowned.  They were his friends... weren't friends supposed to help?  I mean, Emily and Caroline have been helping me... and I counted them as friends (well, Caroline not so much).  I had a hunch that Harmony was more like a teacher... or a guardian to me.

               “Oh.  Doesn't that bother you?”

               “Nah, not really.  It's not like I've ever really cared about their problems.”  But did he care about mine?  I mean, he listened to me, so obviously he does... right?  Why wouldn't he care about his friends' problems?  I think he saw a look of confusion and shock on my face because he quickly said:  “It seems harsh, I know, but it's how we've always been.  We don't listen to each others sob stories.  Too personal for each of us.”

               I nodded, kind of understanding where he was coming from... kind of. Actually, scratch that.  I didn't really know what he was on about.  I wasn't going to ask him though, it seemed that it made sense to him.

               “Right.  So this is new to you?  Kind of like it is to me?  Seeming as I can't remember anything....”  I mumbled the last part.  I didn't need to repeat my problems to him.  I'm sure he'd heard enough.  If he didn't want to listen to his friends' problems, why would he listen to mine?  In fact... why did he listen to mine?

               “Yeah.  It's not too bad.  I thought it would be worse.”  He looked away, probably embarrassed?  Maybe feeling silly?  I don't know.  “I dunno if you'd want to hear it though.”

               “No.  No, go on.  You listened to me.  I'm kind of interested anyway.  You seem to be angry a lot.  I've only seen you, what?  Three times?  And probably two out of those three times you seemed angry at something.”  I did notice how he was mostly angry.  I mean, it was kind of hard not to.  Someone who was good-looking and stole the attention from everything else, it was hard not to notice his facial expressions.  I'd always cast secret looks at him whenever anyone wasn't looking.  Couldn't help myself.