Chapter Fourteen - "Star Crossed"

If the stars say that you couldn’t love me,
Are you telling me that you would listen?
If the words make their way from your mouth,
Don’t ask my permission,
All is forgiven.

If the stars say that you can not love.
(The stars keep this fire from burning on)
If the stars say that you can not love me.

Chapter Fourteen - “Star Crossed”

BALT

               After getting into the “safe house” (as Bernadette was calling it), we let Harmony put Immi into one of the bedrooms.  She'd fallen asleep whilst we were driving.  None of us had wanted to disturb her, she'd had a rough day and she looked so peaceful.

               Sitting on wooden boxes, no-one was speaking.  No-one knew what to say or how to react.  Harmony was fuming, Marcus looked upset and the rest of us were confused.  Gustav... well, I couldn't tell how he was feeling.  He was wearing a poker face.  Even Bernadette looked uncomfortable.

               When the door clicked open, all of our heads turned to face Harmony.  Her face was set into a deep scowl and she looked extremely pissed off.  It was pretty scary.

               “Harmony, I can explain!”  Bernadette stood up almost immediately.  This definitely wasn't the Bernadette, or 'Neferet', we'd seen earlier.  This person was almost cowering.

               “Start, because you're not going anywhere near Immi until you do.  You died!”  Harmony screamed.  I could see that she was extremely protective of Immi, no doubt of Emily and Caroline too.

               “I-I-I got a choice... and I knew something was going to happen and I-”  Bernadette stammered.  She looked fearful of Harmony.

               “You sold your soul!”  Harmony roared.  My eyes widened.  Bernadette... sold her soul?  So she was an angel?  It was impossible!  Angels weren't capable of that!  They were too proud of their heritage!

               “I-I... yeah.  I did, okay!  I'm not proud of it but I had to!”

               “Had to?  Had to?  You defied the laws!  Once we die, we die!  There's no reason for us to exist anymore!”

               “I wasn't going to leave Heaven or Earth without Marcus!  And definitely not without Dimitri gone!”  Bernadette screamed back.  Already, she seemed devoted to Marcus... but she hadn't turned up to our house.  And I don't think she'd met up with him either... I wasn't too sure about that though.

               “You sold yourself because of a demon?  A demon?”  Harmony shrieked with disbelief.  I rolled my eyes at her behaviour.  We weren't that bad!  And Marcus was a perfectly nice guy - I had no doubts that he would've protected Bernadette to the end.

               “He's my soul mate!  My other half!  You'd do the same for Franklin, wouldn't you?”

               “Franklin is an angel!  He isn't a murderer!”  Wow.  She really wasn't holding back, was she?