Chapter 12

I decided it was mean to leave you guys with the cliffhanger, so here's the next chapter!

James's POV

Riley held something in her hands under the table nervously. I could see her shaking, and there were tears in her eyes. "I'm sorry." She said quietly, lifting the object from under the table. She hung her head as she reached across the table, her hands still covering the object. I slowly pulled her hands away, grasping it, as Riley sniffled. I turned it over in my hands, looking at it. We were silent for a while after that, listening to the restaurant around us. Riley wasn't even able to meet my eyes. I placed it on the table, reaching my hand to touch hers gently. She finally looked up, glancing at me. Tears ran down her face as she looked at me.
"I'm not mad." I told her softly.
"Y-you aren't?" She sniffled. I shook my head.
"No. When did this happen?" I asked her.
"The work party, I found out a week later, on the day I asked you to the engagement party." She said, her voice still shaking.
"And you talked to Stephanie and Michelle about it." I said, things clicking together. She nodded. "Ri, come here." I said, and she shot out of her chair, sitting on my lap. "I wish you would've told me when you found out, instead of keeping it hidden for 3 days." I told her. She hung her head. "I'm not mad though, I'm disappointed you didn't tell me, but I'm not mad. Actually, I'm happy, for you, for us." I reached across the table and grabbed the object again, holding it in front of our faces. "Riley, we're gonna be parents." I said.

Riley's POV

The rest of the night went by fine. I felt a lot better about my pregnancy. I had been worried he wouldn't want the baby, or he would leave me, or wasn't responsible enough, or something like that, but James seemed excited to be having a child. I had been excited at first, then felt guilty. However, if James is happy, then I am too. I don't know why I didn't just tell him when I found out, it was probably the hormones making me nervous.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I opened my eyes to see light shining through the curtains. I smiled, rubbing my eyes. I was going to the doctor with James today to confirm my pregnancy. I just wanted to be extra safe from the beginning. I pulled the covers off me, and started downstairs towards the dining room. Sitting at the table with my family was nerve wracking. After my pregnancy is confirmed, I'm going to have to tell them. I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm just overreacting like I did with James. Nancy, one of the maids, poured me a glass of orange juice, and I smiled at her. I don't know if my parents know any of the maids or butlers names, but I've made sure to know every one of them. I took a sip, before starting on my French toast. "Do you have any plans for the wedding?" My father piped up, directing the question to Emily.
"Actually, yes. Hunter chose his best man, and I've chosen my maid of honour." She said happily. I kept my head down as I ate. I've always felt invisible beside my sister.
"Who is it sweetheart?" Mom asked her, glancing over towards her.
"Riley, will you be my maid of honour?" She asked me. I dropped my fork, and I swear I almost choked. Emily has never payed attention to me before, I honestly thought she'd choose someone else.
"Uh," I hesitated. What if she had the wedding before I give birth, I can't be the maid of honour then. I'd probably want to sit down the whole time. And if it's after, I'll want to be able to watch the baby.
"Well Riley?" My mother asked, expectantly.