Chapter 4

The good thing about having a big home is that there's so many different rooms that if one is locked it won't be suspicious.

I'm sitting in a small room that's at the end of one of the many long hallways. I decided that if I want to get to the bottom of what's happening then I need to put all my thoughts out for me to sift through.

Unfortunately I don't really have any clues as to who would do this. I printed out pictures of everyone and anyone that is close to Riley. In the center of the cork board is Riley herself. I guess I'll start by just placing everyone up there. How could it have been any of my friends when they were at school with me that day?

And that's when it hits me.

If Topanga is right about this whole thing then someone else was involved. Someone who wasn't at school that day pushed Riley. Unless it wasn't a kid. It could have very well been Topanga and Cory that pushed her. They wouldn't do that, but maybe they didn't mean to and now they're trying to hide any evidence by leading me off their trail. Or Riley herself could have jumped in front of the car and her parents are denying the fact that she's severely depressed. Maybe Topanga blames herself and that's why she doesn't want to talk about how she failed her daughter.

God this is making me feel sick.

I sit on a chair that I brought from my room trying to get to the bottom of this. I pick up a newspaper article that I printed out about the accident. It's a short three paragraph article describing the event and where it happened, but there's no way to really know what happened unless I was there. Maybe if I go back to where this all went down I'll piece some of this together.

I pin the paper up on the board and put the rest in a box. Walking out of the room I make sure to lock it even though it's unlikely that anyone will go through it.

The walk isn't that far from my house since I'm fairly close to the Matthew's place. Once I'm there the first thing I do is look at my surroundings. There's a parking meter, a tree with a trash can next to it, and a donut shop all near where the Matthews family was standing, excluding Auggie since he was in school. From what everyone's told me Riley was fairly close to the middle of the street meaning that she was pushed really hard or hurled herself. I think I can rule out Riley doing it because someone would've seen her, plus I don't think she would've had the strength to do it. 

I try to walk closer to the tree when someone bumps into me, spilling there warm coffee all over me. The man apologizes and tries to help me, but I tell him it's fine and that I'll get myself cleaned up. I turn and go into the donut place to get some napkins. Sighing because my gray shirt now has a stain on it. Since I'm already inside and I took some napkins, I decide to buy something.

I go to the counter and ask for a Boston cream and a small hot chocolate. The lady nods and gathers the items I asked for before ringing me up. I pay, give my thanks, and turn to leave, but I notice that through the shop's windows you'd have the perfect view of the accident.

I face the lady and smile politely. "Excuse me?"

The lady closes the cash register and then looks at me. "How can I help you sir?"

"Well," I speak up, "I was wondering if you know who was working her a few weeks ago during an accident."

"That'd be me. I work here all day, everyday. 'Course I have people come by and help, but mainly me. Why you asking?"

"You see, my friend is the one who got hit by the car and I was wondering if anyone saw what happened," I explain.

She nods. "I see why you're curious. For some reason no one would listen my side of the story. Probably think Ima crazy person. Well I was standing right here when it all happened. Was a slow morning, so I was watching the street when the man, I'm assuming her father, was yelling at someone in all black who I saw moments before try to steal his wallet causing the lady, guessing her mother, to turn and calm him down. Then someone in a similar get up came out of nowhere and said hi to the girl. She seemed to be fine for they talked for a bit. Next thing I know the young one is yelling and shoving the person away. I started walking towards the door to break up the fight when the girl got shoved into the street. I'm the one that called 911. Makes me wonder why they wouldn't take my statement," she pauses and looks at me, "Why you so curious?"

I sip my drink and shrug. "She's my best friend and now has amnesia. Just trying to understand everything."

"Give the girl my apologies for everything, I doubt she deserved any of it," she says then leans towards me, "I don't know exactly what happened, but I saw that someone's foul playing. I doubt it was you, but if it was I'll get you."

Quickly I shake my head. "No it wasn't me. I just heard that she was pushed and I want to get to the bottom of it."

She stares me down then says she believes me.

"Thanks for everything," I say as I grab my donut and move out of the way of the line.

As I walk out I feel my heart sink. I don't know who did it, but I do know that it was done on purpose. The worst part is this took at least two people to pull off.

Who are they?