Chapter 15

Since we're in the somewhat later winter seasons, it's practically pitch black. I cling to Riley to make sure she's safe. I can tell she's really scared and still shaken from regaining some memories since her face is buried in my chest. I call out to the rest of the gang and hear Zay come up behind me and he tells me he's right there so that we're back to back and both Smakle and Maya are to my left holding my backpack or arm.

"Lucas," I whisper yell, "Lucas!"

No response.

Did he fall or something? I mean sure I might be a bit mad at him, but that doesn't mean I want him hurt.

Then Maya yells out, "Someone make it stop!"

There's sounds of people running, others slamming to lockers, and teenagers screaming. I feel like we should run to a classroom to hide or something. Being out in the open like this feels wrong.

Then suddenly everything went silent.

Someone must have figured out how to shut off the speakers, but the lights are still out, which is making my nerves stay on edge.

I feel Riley's hand touch my face and I bend down for her. She asks me, "What's going on?"

I hear the fear in her voice and all I want to do is scoop her up and get out. "I don't know," I tell her.

All of a sudden a light shines in our eyes. I shade my eyes just enough to see Lucas. He calls to us saying, "Sorry I got shoved down the hall be the crowd. You didn't really think I'd leave did you?"

We all look at each other than move towards him. "Let's get out of here," Maya practically shouts with fear.

We all pull out our phones and turn on the flashlights. We're about to move when the speaker beeps signaling that someone or something is about to talk. A voice come over the speaker and it's obviously modified so that we can't tell who it is. "You didn't really think I'd let you out that easily, did you?" the voice creepily asks.

I watch as everyone in the hallway scrambles desperately trying to get out or stay glued to their spots from being so scared. I look at my friends they have the same scared look on their face as everyone else.

"I'm going to get you, Riley Matthews," it shrieks before finally cutting out.

"Run!" Zay yells once we register that the voice called out Riley.

He doesn't need to tell me twice.

We start running with Lucas leading us, and of course the creepy noises just have to come over the intercom once again. I try to block it out and focus on keeping up with the gang. Lucas seems to be following the crowd towards the main entrance/exit. I'm about to protest when the doors open.

We stop in the back of the crowd and that's when I realize I'm holding Riley's hand. I lean down and kiss her on top of her head as we all catch our breath. I really love this girl and I can't stand the thought of her getting hurt.

The crowd disperses and that's when we hear the police saying that school is canceled due to threats and the fear that all of our lives are in danger.

"But please, stay calm we're sure it's nothing," they say to try and make us feel better.

I hear one of them calling for Riley Matthews and I look to her. She looks at all of us and tells us, "I'm really not up for an interrogation right now."

I nod and look at the rest of the group. They say okay and we head towards the cars trying to blend in with the crowd.

Once we're far enough Zay spits out, "What the actual hell just happened?"

I wrap my arms around Riley and think of a possible explanation. "Maybe it was the person who attacked Riley?" I suggest.

"So Charlie?" Maya replies.

"Before we accuse Charlie of anything can someone please tell me what is going on!" Lucas snaps.

"Not here," Riley speaks up. "We'll tell you and explain more to Maya and Smakle, but not here."

The rest of the people know what she means. If it wasn't Charlie it could be anyone around us, but if it was him he might be here watching us.

I hold the girl tighter at the thought of someone watching her every move.

"Where do we go now?" Smakle asks what we're all thinking.

I look at everyone and say, "We can go to my place and think of our next move. I can even show you guys everything I know."

Everyone agrees and we head over to my place.