Chapter 20

We wait for Riley to come out of her interview and when she does I know that it didn't go well.

She comes over to us with an angry glint in her eyes.

The brunette reaches us and we stand, moving away from the waiting area as she mutters, "They think it's a joke. Some kind of elaborate prank."

We all try to stay calm, but how can we? Some sicko is after us and the police think it's some kind of stupid joke. Who even has time for stupid gongs like that?

"Did you show them the pictures and everything?" Lucas asks.

Riley nods. "They think we're very thorough for planning this."

I shake my head and try not to punch the wall we are standing by. It doesn't deserve my angry punches considering that the paint is already chipping off of this old building. It could really use a touch up since the windows look old and the decor is really dated.

"What do we do now?" Zay speaks the question we're all thinking.

We all look around and try to think of something we could do. It takes seconds to realize that none of us have any ideas. Well, at least no good ones.

I look up. "Maybe we should just go to my place or wherever you guys feel safest. We need to think without being worried someone could get us at any moment," I suggest.

Everyone nods too upset to say anything else.

We start to head out when the lights go out just like before causing the same panic to build inside of me.

The flutter of my heart.

The drop of my stomach and twist of my gut.

The tremble in my hand.

It all rushes over me as I try to control it.

I stop and we all look at each other in the little light from outside. I take a deep breath. I'm ready to fight whatever is there.

"I'm not going to let you go that easily," it hisses.

I clench my fists.

It's that same voice that's been following us around.

"Who's there?" a police officer shouts while the other officers pull out their guns and flashlights making us all freak out more.

There's an eerie silence for a few moments. It gives me and the gang just enough time to move out to a wall and behind some chairs.

"I'm your worst nightmare," the voice cackles.

After that gunshots ring out and it takes me only a moment to move to shield Riley who's trembling with fear. I look over at my friends and they're ducking and covering as best as they can. I look at the girl in front of me and try to see if she's okay, but her eyes are squeezed tightly shut in an attempt to block out the world.

As the shots begin to slow down people finally run for cover. It seems like whoever is shooting is purposely avoiding hitting people because I don't see anyone go down.

Then it stops.

No one moves.

All we can do is try and catch our breath.

"You might be safe for now, but just you wait."

It takes us a second to feel safe enough to move and once we do we have to avoid broken glass and small fragments of wood. We help each other reach the other officers to see what happens next.

The voice makes us stop. "Oh, I almost forgot that I have one more surprise."

I move to Riley, ready to protect her and the rest of my group.

Suddenly a skylight of sorts opens in the middle of the police station. Something falls from it causing people to scream and run out of fear.

A sea of people head towards me, but I push through it to see what fell.

When I get there I wish I had stayed away.

I can't just erase what I just saw since that's not home the human mind works.

I hold in my puke and look away.

I walk back to the group and try to stay calm, but it doesn't work. Their questions slowly pick away at me.

"What's over there?" Riley asks again.

I look down and mumble, "The body of a police officer."