Chapter 5

Everything has settled down at school. The only problem is that I'm not the same person I was before, at least that's what I'm told. It's so frustrating because I'm trying to figure out who I am not really who I was.

It's not that I don't want to know about who I was before, but until I get my memories back I need to try and live in the present.

I snap back to reality by Maya who's waving her hand in front my face. She seemed to be telling me a story, but I didn't care.

The blonde rolls her eyes. "Riley, what's the point of us trying to jog your memories like this if you aren't going to listen."

I sigh and look around the lunchroom hoping the bell will ring soon. "Look guys, I appreciate everything you are doing to help me, but my memories will come back to me in time. You can't just force it," I explain.

"We're just trying to help," Lucas says defensively.

"I know," I assure them. "It's just that this won't work."

I grab my lunch and get up.

"Where you going?" Farkle calls as I walk away from the table.

"Somewhere to be alone," I answer exiting the room.

As soon as I get out I head over to the restroom. This seems to be the place that most girls will run to when they need space. I go inside one of the stalls and just try to breath. They may be my friends, but they're way too suffocating. I can't stand them trying so hard when it won't do anything except give me a headache.

I look down to get my bag when my head starts pounding.

I'm sitting on the stall floor sobbing. My phone keeps buzzing, but I just ignore it trying to figure out who would say things like this to me. I've never intentionally hurt someone in my life, so why is someone being so cruel to me?

"Riley you in here?" someone calls to me.

"Yeah."

The stall door opens, but I can't see who's there. It's just a fuzzy image of a girl. She seems to smile then asks what's wrong. I tell her that someone's threatening me and all she does is laugh.

"This isn't a joke," I say annoyed.

"Well you deserve it, you stupid bitch."

With that said the girl slams the stall door in my face and stomps out leaving me there to wonder what I did wrong.

I look up to see my reflection in the stall door and see that I'm crying. Looks like I wasn't the happy person my friends are making me out to be. Unless they didn't know what was going on. That would explain why I have memories that none of them can explain. I guess I kept a lot more secrets than they thought I did.

Grabbing my stuff I head over to the sink and rinse my face. When I'm done I go to my next class hoping that school will go by faster.

Sadly my wish wasn't granted, but when class ended I managed to slip out of school without my friends seeing me so that I could just go home. I finished most of my homework in class so there's not much point in going to my mom's cafe. Now I'm just sitting in my bay window debating what I should do with my new memory.

"You know that's the spot you always used to go to when you had to think about something."

I glance towards my door to see Farkle leaning in the doorway. He walks over to me and sits next to me. "So what's on your mind?"

"Why are here?" I ask him.

He shrugged. "You left us at lunch and then I couldn't find you after school, so I just wanted to make sure you're alright."

In a hushed tone I say, " I'm okay."

"No you aren't," he insists, "You can trust me, Riles."

Can I trust him? I mean he is the only person out of my friends who hasn't been telling me all these stories about my life. He only answers my questions if I ask him. He also doesn't push me to do anything I don't want to and defends me all the time. I think I can.

"If I tell you, you can't tell anyone," I say softly.

His bright blue eyes burn into mine as he nods.

I tell him all about my newest memory, which makes him tense up. When I'm done he still doesn't say anything. I'm afraid that he's mad or might think I made it up.

"Riles," Frakle says as he takes my hand. "There was a lot more going on than what you and I knew. I think everyone was kept a bit in the dark, but you had all the important pieces to figuring this out."

"Figuring what out?" I ask.

He squeezes my hand before letting go. "Our group has secrets and that's normal. But our group's secrets caused... a lot of problems."

I'm tempted to ask what that means, but I have a feeling that even he isn't entirely sure. This boy is a genius. If there's stuff going on that he's struggling to figure out then we're all screwed.

Farkle gently puts a hand on my shoulder making me look at him. "I need you to do something for me," he tells me slowly.

I stare at him. This boy has done nothing but help me with everything. This is the least I could do for him. "Name it."

"I need you to not tell anyone else about these memories. I mean, maybe you parents, but that's about it."

For some reason I feel my heart stall as I debate what to do. "I'll do it," I say nodding, "But why?"

Farkle looks around my room in deep thought. His eyes slowly meet mine and I see something I wish I didn't. Seeing this just leaves me with more questions. There's so much going on, but this makes me the most worried. I can't really put my finger on why it does this. I honestly can't. But the more I think about it the more confused I get.

"I'm afraid, Riley."

I look down knowing that whatever makes his eyes fill with that much fear must be serious.