Chapter 19

I can't believe she still can't remember.

I'm not forcing her to try and remember. I don't ever want to force to do something that she doesn't want to or is out of her power. It's just that she can remember almost everything and I want her to know about all the good times we had together.

Why won't her brain let her know about me?

Is it trying to protect her?

I didn't do anything wrong...

Right?

Yeah I'm right. I never hurt her and if we fought it was dealt with our words, not our fists. We understand each other. She gets me in a way no one else does and I need her more than anything.

Why can't the universe that?

I pull out my phone, while everyone walks ahead of me, and look at the screensaver. It's a picture of Riley and I from our middle school dance. We're smiling like dorks with me in my tux and her in her beautiful yellow dress. If you focus you can see Maya laughing at us in the background.

I love this picture because it's the night I realized that she may never like me the way I like her, but that's okay. It's okay because I'll always be there for her. She needs me and I need her and that night I knew that even if we were just friends it's what we needed.

I put my phone away before I walking into a stop sign or some other sign and add another problem to our ever growing list.

Someone comes over to me and puts a hand on my shoulder.

It's Lucas.

He looks at me for long moment forming what he wants to tell me. He takes a breath and tells me, "I know that you're frustrated, but don't let her get away from you. I now know I'm not the right one for her and as much as I wish I was... it's okay. You two really do care about each other. You two deserve each other."

I'm taken back for a second. I can't believe Lucas supports us being together. After his anger and saying that he'll never date Maya because his heart is set on Riley.

I look at him and muster a grin. "Thanks dude. I just need a second from her to figure everything out. I think. Ever since she got hurt I've been rushing and rushing things. From her memories to this whole case. I need to just slow down for a moments."

"And that's fine. Just make sure she knows that too," Lucas says.

I nod earning a pat on the back. "No matter what happens I'm you're friend. I'm always here buddy," he promises.

"Thanks pretty face," I joke earning a chuckle from him.

We look at each other and go towards the rest of the group ahead of us. They look at us confused we just shake our heads no. I smile because at the end of the day Lucas and I have always had a weird friendship. We'll always have inside jokes and separate laughs. It's who we are.

"I hope you guys are ready," Maya whispers to us.

"Why?" I ask.

Riley turns and points behind her to the police station. "Because we're here and if they don't believe us we're screwed."

"Maybe we should've told your parents that we're coming here," Smakle points out.

"Trust me, they'll understand. If they don't then my memories about them are wrong."

Everyone just says okay and follows her HP he steps.

Zay goes up to the door and holds it open for all of us. I nod in thanks and go over to everyone and follow the group to the front desk.

Here goes nothing.