Chapter 21

I feel like I'm suffocating.

It's been a few days since the incident at the police station and school has been cancelled for awhile. Not only that, but the officers feel the need to escort us everywhere. I understand why, I just need some space.

There's a knock on my door and in comes the rest of my mystery fighting gang.

"The windows unlocked," I tell them as I put on my necklace.

"Yeah, but there's police down there watching everyone and everything," Maya says flopping in my bed.

I roll my eyes at the mention of the people who mean well, but are suffocating me.

"Where are we going today?" Zay asks.

These last few days we've met up here and at Farkle's house because we need to talk about our next move and analyze what's happened so far. Right now we have no leads and no idea what to do.

Lucas looks at us and shrugs. "Why don't we go looking for Charlie?"

"The police are already on that," Smakle shoots back still not trusting that Charlie had nothing to do with it.

"Yeah and what have they done so far?"

I try to stay calm, but it's been hard to do that for awhile now. Everyone is so on edge and angry making it really hard.

"I say we go look for him," I speak up.

"Lets just do it," Farkle agrees. "It's not like we have any other leads or anything. We're just sitting here guessing."

Everyone looks at each other and we all get up and go. Somehow we manage to sneak passed the police officers and then we get in Lucas' car.

"I think we should retrace our steps," Zay tells us.

"Sounds good," Lucas replies heading for he hospital.

We get there in little time at all and when we get there I know something's wrong. I got bad vibes immediately, by I push passed it for everyone's sake.

Slowly, we file out and towards the same place we way we went not that long ago. I notice something on the ground by the window we used to enter the building last time. Lucas sees it too because he runs ahead of all of us.

"Charlie!" he screams.

My world seems to slow down. We all run over to see Charlie Gardner on the ground. His eyes are staring at the sky, but they are unseeing. Probably because of the knife sticking out of his stomach. There's blood all over him except his face. It's like someone wanted us to be able to see his face right away.

I turn away and cry. I hear Smakle throwing up behind me and I try not to think about it. I try to block out the world, but I can't.

My phone starts ringing and I pull it out since is most likely my mom.

The screen reads no caller ID.

I answer it and put it on speaker. "Hello?"

Everyone looks to me and we wait for the other person to answer.

"This is what happens when you try to help Riley Matthews. Don't say I didn't warn the rest of you."

The line goes dead.

Everyone looks at me and I don't do anything. I look at Farkle even though he was mad at me the other day. He opens his arms for me and I cry into his shoulder.

I can't do this anymore.