Chapter 7

Even though I've put all my thoughts out on the board I can't help but feel like it's very unorganized.

I have pictures of everyone that's close to Riley including myself up there asking with a picture I took of the donut shop and an article from a small paper about the incident. I honestly have no idea as to what else I could put up there. Maybe if I can get my hands on Rileys phone I can get some of the nasty texts that she was getting.

I'm about to fix the string that's showing me how everything's connected when I get a phone call.

"Hello?"

"Farkle I'm here at your house, but where I are you?" Maya asks.

Crap. I forgot that Maya needs to tell me something that she said is super important.

"Uhh, I'm putting some of my old junk away in one of the storage rooms. I'll meet you in my room in a bit," I try to cover.

I hear her walking and figure she's going to my room. "Okay see you in a bit."

Once she's off the phone I go to work hiding everything. I pull a map that I put up a few days ago over the evidence. Then I push a desk up against the wall pinning the map in place. I put the rest of my pictures and notes in a box and throw it in a drawer. As quickly as I can I lock that drawer and get out of the room. Then I lock the door from the outside.

I get to my room in minutes to see Maya enjoying the view. She turns and gestures for us to both sit on my couch. We sit next to each other and I wait for her to tell me what's going on.

The blonde sighs. "I need to get this off my chest."

I nod and wait for her to continue.

"Well you know that I've liked Huckleberry for a long while, but what you didn't know is that after him and Riley broke up freshman year I decided to wait until this year to try and ask him out.

"So that's what I did. Unfortunately me the felling wasn't exactly mutual. He tried to let me down as gently as he could because he still liked Riley at the time, or maybe he still does I'm not really sure in all honesty. I understood and tried to be okay, but I wasn't.

"Because I wasn't okay I lashed out at the one person that loves me more than anything. My Riles. My sunshine. I found this person online to send her anonymous texts that way if the police get involved it's unlikely they could trace it to me. After the accident I told the person to stop because for all I know she tried to kill herself, and now she can't even remember who Cowboy is.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you or anyone else sooner. I just wasn't sure how to say it without fully accepting that I've been one of the most awful people in history. And I'm so, so sorry."

I sit there dumbfounded by this. Maya starts balling her eyes out and begs me not to be mad at her.

All I know is that Maya wasn't intentionally involved in Riley getting hurt, but she did want to hurt her. Just not in this way.

I lean forward and put my head in my hands. I'm not sure if should forgive this girl or yell at her. I know why she did it, but that doesn't make it right.

I remember the memory Riley told me about with her in the restroom and decide that whatever happens between Maya and I, I need to find out right now if that was her.

"Maya did you ever find Riley in the restroom crying and tell her she deserves it because... because she's a bitch?"

Her puffy blue eyes look into mine and I hold my breath in suspense.

"No. if I had known how badly this was affecting her I would've put a stop to it sooner," she clarifies.

I let out a breath of relief as I stand and process everything slowly. "Maya, I don't think I'll be mad at you forever, but I'm extremely mad at you right now. So get the fuck out of here," I say in quiet but harsh tone.

Maya seems as if she were expecting this kind of reaction from me because all she does is nod and start to walk out when she turns back to me. "Don't tell her it was me. She has a right to find out from me."

I just nod and let her leave.

How did I miss this? Not only did I miss Riley getting hurt in the first place, but I also missed the fact that it was her best friend. God I'm such an idiot.

I feel my anger start to boil and when I realize that my parents aren't home I explode. I kick over chairs, throw papers, and fling picture frames across the room.

When I'm done having a fit I start cleaning up. I pick up a picture of me, Riles, and Maya from when we were about nine on a field trip to a local fair. We all look so happy and care free.

Oh how the times have changed.